Plant Light Help For Dummies Please

1. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Hi. I've been reading through posts trying to glean what I can but really feeling super lost. I have a 5.5 gallon tank sitting in the window. It gets a LOT of indirect light all day (North facing in Phoenix Arizona). It gets about 1 hour of direct light. I have annubias and moss balls with 1 male Betta. Planted with fluval shrimp something something soil. I have been leaving the hood off so it gets as much light as possible. Also because I thought the little led light served no purpose. But after reading now I'm wondering if it would actually help. Please advise.

Also I have a 29 gallon tank with seachem flourite and a java fern and. . . hmmmm red. . . sword something?? I bought the $17 17 watt flora specific fluorescent bulb for this tank.

I'd like to have Water Sprite and Hornwort in these tanks as well.

I really can't afford the expensive lighting so can anyone advise what minimally priced options would work best for me if what I have is not good? I would really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. Planted Aquatics Member Member

A great inexpensive but effective light for plants that I use is $29.99 for a 20"-27". It is on sale so I would get it quick! I ordered it on Amazon, it gives the tank a clean look and keeps my plants green and healthy. It also has a moonlight mode for night. But really, for a basic planted tank with a few plants you could use most LED lights, lamps, or florescent lights that are bright enough and won't heat up the water too badly will be just fine. I will give you a link: Amazon.com : NICREW LED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light with Extendable Brackets, White and Blue LEDs, Size 20 to 27 Inch, 11 Watts : Pet Supplies

3. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

That's awesome. Thank you for the link. I think I will get one for my betta tank. Does the amount of regular day light I described and pictured work just so I know? Or do plants need more direct light? Does that one LED light that I pictured provide enough light for plant growth in the 5 gallon tank?

Also do the flora fluorescent bulbs actually help with plant growth? The white fluorescent bulb that it came with was much brighter. Should I return the flora bulb and use the white one, just use the flora bulb, or get that one from Amazon. Thanks

4. Planted Aquatics Member Member

The amount of daylight that shows through your tank looks a little low. Direct light from the top of the hood is the best choice. They need more direct light, I'd say about medium. They will grow faster and look greener. The LED light in the 5 gal. Is ok, I use the same light for my plants, they are great. But I would recommend the strip light because it covers the whole tank which means it's giving light to all of the plants. I use it in my 20g planted aquarium, I will put a picture down below. The lights look better in real life, the picture just doesn't show it. The flora bulbs will be ideal. I hope this answered your questions! :) IMG_0490.jpg

5. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Beautiful tank thank you

6. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

1 day shipping ❤

0711170914a-1.jpg

7. Planted Aquatics Member Member

That's amazing! I love the light, don't you? Btw this is Blue Bettas, I just changed my profile and name. :)

8. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Gotcha! So sad to see it was a prime day deal today :'( :')