Question Plant "illness" id

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not too great with picking out specific nutrient deficiencies but it looks like how my plants get when the temp rises a bit too much from me forgetting the heater is on in my room. How is the tank temp and is it suitable for the plant? IMO the leaves look like a nice green, no pinholes I can see, very little browning. But the leaves curling is what leads me to believe temp. Or when I leave plants out of water a little too long and they start to dry up and curl..

OP
Itamarironi

Itamarironi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sinned4g63 said:
I'm not too great with picking out specific nutrient deficiencies but it looks like how my plants get when the temp rises a bit too much from me forgetting the heater is on in my room. How is the tank temp and is it suitable for the plant? IMO the leaves look like a nice green, no pinholes I can see, very little browning. But the leaves curling is what leads me to believe temp. Or when I leave plants out of water a little too long and they start to dry up and curl..
Thanks for the reply! The temperature of the water is 23 degree Celsius, which are 73.4 F

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Itamarironi said:
Thanks for the reply! The temperature of the water is 23 degree Celsius, which are 73.4 F
Ok so I don't think temp is the issue in that case. Perhaps try some different ferts that include macro and micro nutrients. Flourish is nice for basic ferts but only includes micro nutrients and excel is a source of carbon. If by chance you've added new plants or changed the lighting then you may need to balance the ferts a bit more.

I really like NilocG ThriveC+, it includes micros, macros, trace minerals/nutrients, and carbon. That is if you think that might help and want to try it. Maybe someone with a bit more plant knowledge will chime in.

SeattleRoy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Itamarironi,

Do you have any water parameter information my any chance? Specifically I am looking from hardness information both dKH and dGH. Is the water where you live 'soft'?

-Roy

OP
Itamarironi

Itamarironi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SeattleRoy said:
HI Itamarironi,

Do you have any water parameter information my any chance? Specifically I am looking from hardness information both dKH and dGH. Is the water where you live 'soft'?

-Roy
NO³ 0
NO² 0
GH 14 d
KH 10 d
pH 7.2 - 7.6
Cl 0
Temp 24

My water are pretty hard actually, water changes won't change it too much, and I might have to get RO, even though I heard it isn't that bad that they are hard

SeattleRoy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Itamarironi,

Do you do a weekly water change or do you just 'top off' the tank when the level drops? If so how much? 10% 20% 50%?

OP
Itamarironi

Itamarironi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm doing a weekly 25% water changes.
I see why you would suspect top-offs as they do increase hardness in the long run. I have this setup for a while now, and the hygrophila started to look bad only after three or four months or even longer. Before it prospered and grew beautifully. I should also mention that my light is LED 36W, and I use citric acid+baking soda for CO2 (a better system is on its way)

SeattleRoy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Itamarironi,

You didn't indicate the size of the tank so the 36 watt LED doesn't tell me how intense the lighting may be. However, since your H. lancea (?) grew well for several months and now is not something has changed. Assuming you have not changed the light, photoperiod, etc. I would suspect that the amount of plants in your tank now is greater than it was several months ago. More plants mean more nutrients are needed. Did you increase your nutrient dosing, specifically the Seachem Flourish, as the amount of plants increased? The 0.0 NO3 (nitrates) may be part of the problem but the pictures show good color green on the leaves.

I would start with increasing the dosage of Flourish, either twice as often or 2X the amount you are currently dosing. Watch the new leaves as they emerge over the next two weeks, do they look straighter, more flat? If so you are on the right path.

Leaf margins that curl upward or downward (depending upon species) typically can indicate a lack of magnesium. The high dKH along with the high dGH indicates that most of the hardness in your water is due to calcium. Excess calcium can impede the uptake of magnesium. If, after you have done the increased dosing of Flourish for two weeks the situation has not improved contact me with a pm or use SeattleRoy to add to this thread and we will discuss how to increase your magnesium ppm. Hope this helps! -Roy

OP
Itamarironi

Itamarironi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SeattleRoy said:
HI Itamarironi,

You didn't indicate the size of the tank so the 36 watt LED doesn't tell me how intense the lighting may be. However, since your H. lancea (?) grew well for several months and now is not something has changed. Assuming you have not changed the light, photoperiod, etc. I would suspect that the amount of plants in your tank now is greater than it was several months ago. More plants mean more nutrients are needed. Did you increase your nutrient dosing, specifically the Seachem Flourish, as the amount of plants increased? The 0.0 NO3 (nitrates) may be part of the problem but the pictures show good color green on the leaves.

I would start with increasing the dosage of Flourish, either twice as often or 2X the amount you are currently dosing. Watch the new leaves as they emerge over the next two weeks, do they look straighter, more flat? If so you are on the right path.

Leaf margins that curl upward or downward (depending upon species) typically can indicate a lack of magnesium. The high dKH along with the high dGH indicates that most of the hardness in your water is due to calcium. Excess calcium can impede the uptake of magnesium. If, after you have done the increased dosing of Flourish for two weeks the situation has not improved contact me with a pm or use SeattleRoy to add to this thread and we will discuss how to increase your magnesium ppm. Hope this helps! -Roy
Thank you so much for the help! Yes, I've got great growth in the last couple of months, it sounds like the problem! My tank in 30gal, with soil and gravel. I'll up my dose from:
2.5ml flourish twice a week
2.5ml flourish excel every other day

To:
5ml flourish twice a week
5ml flourish excel every other day

Sounds like enough?

SeattleRoy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI ItamarironI

That seems like a good start, you should be able to see improvement in two weeks if nutrients is the issue. Remember, watch the new leaves as they emerge - existing leaves will not improve. -Roy

OP
Itamarironi

Itamarironi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SeattleRoy said:
HI Itamarironi

That seems like a good start, you should be able to see improvement in two weeks if nutrients is the issue. Remember, watch the new leaves as they emerge - existing leaves will not improve. -Roy
Will keep that in mind! Thanks

New Threads