Plant identification help

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Went to a local pond and found this. I’m Not sure what it is. Ignore the duckweed and other stuff in there. It’s not hornwort, maybe some kind of cabomba? I don’t know.
FD4EFBDE-A17F-41BA-AD10-4E820D89C356.jpeg
E830C8BB-E8F6-4F7E-B2B6-C5B430B08D45.jpeg
3141EBA6-901E-4F20-9ABA-2F1F04BA2C67.jpeg

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That looks like parrot feather. I had some for a while but it wasn't the best grower for me. It prefers to float or have some leaves above water.

OP
Frisbee

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SM1199 said:
That looks like parrot feather. I had some for a while but it wasn't the best grower for me. It prefers to float or have some leaves above water.
Possible, but I don’t think so. None of this stuff was growing out of the water, and it looks a little different. I could be wrong though, I’m not very good at plant ID.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Frisbee said:
Possible, but I don’t think so. None of this stuff was growing out of the water, and it looks a little different. I could be wrong though, I’m not very good at plant ID.
That would actually make sense as plants often take on different leaf shapes when grown submerged as compared to immersed. I could still be wrong that this is parrot feather though.

OP
Frisbee

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SM1199 said:
That would actually make sense as plants often take on different leaf shapes when grown submerged as compared to immersed. I could still be wrong that this is parrot feather though.
I don’t know, it just seems odd that there would be so much of it all over the pond and none of it would grow out of the water.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I found another one very similar to parrot feather in appearance but is less sturdy so does not breach the water's surface: . Another widespread invasive species.

OP
Frisbee

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SM1199 said:
I found another one very similar to parrot feather in appearance but is less sturdy so does not breach the water's surface: . Another widespread invasive species.
Now that looks a more like it.

New Threads