Plant Identification - Anubias or Brazil Sword & Curly Pondweed

mc12345

I bought these plants from my LFS and honestly have no idea what I bought. The person didn't really seem to know what they were doing when they got the plants from the tank for me.
For the first pic, is this curly pondweed? This seems like a bizarre plant for my LFS to sell. Honestly don't know why I bought it.
For the second, I thought it was an anubias so I got 2, but now I am questioning it. Could it possibly be a brazil sword?

image-75acb2e6-f9a8-4461-a0d8-51dc3222df476960714267805594843.jpg

image-1638a7d3-a844-4570-ac8f-818e99d858244946744844995780564.jpg

grac3

does the "anubias" have a rhizome?

Upvote 0

mc12345

I believe so. Here is a pic of the roots.
0209211424.jpg

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

The top is a crypt, the bottom an Anubias as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

That's a cryptocoryne and an anubias. There are a million different types of anubias, so a different look isn't uncommon at all. The crypt should be planted, treat it like a mini sword.

Upvote 0

mc12345

That's a cryptocoryne and an anubias. There are a million different types of anubias, so a different look isn't uncommon at all. The crypt should be planted, treat it like a mini sword.
Alright thanks. I am quarantining them because I found some snails and want to avoid spreading them to my main tank. I have to do a bleach dip or something before I can add them. I'll be planting my amazon swords in little round glass bowls I got at the dollar store with some sort of soil with nutrients and then a layer of gravel on top. I guess I'll do the same for the crypt. I was told it could be rooted to driftwood when I bought it however. Will this not work now that I know it's a crypt? I have pool filter sand so I can't really plant directly in the sand. Does anyone have suggestions for a good brand or type of planting substrate/soil I can use in the pots?

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Alright thanks. I am quarantining them because I found some snails and want to avoid spreading them to my main tank. I have to do a bleach dip or something before I can add them. I'll be planting my amazon swords in little round glass bowls I got at the dollar store with some sort of soil with nutrients and then a layer of gravel on top. I guess I'll do the same for the crypt. I was told it could be rooted to driftwood when I bought it however. Will this not work now that I know it's a crypt? I have pool filter sand so I can't really plant directly in the sand. Does anyone have suggestions for a good brand or type of planting substrate/soil I can use in the pots?
I’ve never heard of a crypt attaching to driftwood. Anubias for sure, but not crypts. I don’t really have many soil suggestions

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
bcsay720
Replies
Views
grac3
  • Question
Replies
Views