Plant Ideas!

jkkgron2

So where I live everything is basically on lockdown and I’ve decided to set up a minI garden/terrarium/I’m not sure what to call it lol to pass time. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to put in it, I’m definitely new to gardening and plants in general so I’d prefer something pretty easy. Also if you have any tips for making this look better (I'm not great at designing stuff so I’d love some advice ) or how best to take care of whatever plants go in it I’d love to hear them !The glass cup that isn’t filled with dirt may or may not be used, if not then under it I will make a small hill. If I do decide to use it then I will have a centerpiece plant of some sort in the cup. I’ve included some pics of the pot/bowl down below! Thanks in advance!
5D5DB7DA-2E0A-4538-8623-2B3F1777C462.jpeg
9EC377A8-34C1-4643-908A-B37CE03B4D9E.jpeg

bogmummy

What kind of soil did you use? Locally collected?

jkkgron2

What kind of soil did you use? Locally collected?
Yep, and I’m pretty sure that the soil where I live is high in nutrients and minerals . Some of it was also collected from my garden after it rained and I know that’s a good soil (can’t remember the brand though)
Edit: the wood, moss, and pine cones were also locally collected (a.k.a. My yard)

jkkgron2

Oh and I added some more moss and wood, this Is how it looks now
D267C385-851C-4683-9548-3880E9DC6644.jpeg
14AD85BC-E6E4-497C-8928-D57A81E2325E.jpeg

D3DCCBA2-9331-4120-9953-3987DF4039A0.jpeg

jkkgron2

Do you have any ideas for some plants that I might be able to find in a local forest? I’m in MN and have a forest right by me so I may be able to find some nice plants.

jkkgron2

bogmummy?

bogmummy

Do you have any ideas for some plants that I might be able to find in a local forest? I’m in MN and have a forest right by me so I may be able to find some nice plants.
Sorry I took so long to respond. What you're talking about basically is called a native terrarium, you can find videos about them all over youtube. I'm sorry I don't know any plants in Michigan, but you can try any plant you find. I have two terrariums that are just random plants I collected. I would stay away from ferns though because they're kind of hard to keep alive. These are mine when I first started. They have grown up a lot though and I've had to take the tops off.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 69

jkkgron2

Sorry I took so long to respond. What you're talking about basically is called a native terrarium, you can find videos about them all over youtube. I'm sorry I don't know any plants in Michigan, but you can try any plant you find. I have two terrariums that are just random plants I collected. I would stay away from ferns though because they're kind of hard to keep alive. These are mine when I first started. They have grown up a lot though and I've had to take the tops off.
Great thanks! Once spring comes I’ll definitely look for some random plants to put in the terrarium! Do you know of any plants in Minnesota? I’m leaning towards following your advice but I just want to make sure there isn’t a must get plant or anything like that . I will avoid ferns and for the time being (since It’s to cold for plants right now) this is how it looks/how I kinda compromised until I can get more living plants .

B64F4EDF-7AE4-4E77-9402-3F151F4CC055.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishL:))
Replies
Views
Addictedtobettas
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27