Plant Ideas For Betta Tank

Sheena-Phx
I was doing some research on plants for my soon to be possible and came up with a list of ideas. I only have an integrated strip at the top of the lid, so I was wondering what people's experience is with the following, and if they will work in a smaller tank, with simple led light strip, and which ones the Betta will appreciate. It's a cycled 5 gallon with sand, and tetra whisper 5-10 filter which I need to figure out how to modify so there is no waterfall. I also have osmocote plus root tabs, and API Leaf Zone on hand. I am also going to be adding a couple of snails to keep the betta company. Here is what I have come up with so far, but would love other ideas for low light setups, since I believe this is what I have.

- nana
-
-
-
-
--Not so sure about this one as I keep hearing it sheds in low light.
-Java Windelov
-Lucky Bamboo (in the filter)

Blitzar
I say this every time, but, Crypt. parva! It’s an extremely easy plant and does very well in betta tanks! You might be able to find it at Petco or Petsmart, but it’s usually at local fish stores and almost always available online.

DillonPhoenix
You're on the right track with your list!

I keep small Anubias BarterI in all my tanks and they do really well in low light. Bettas also like Anacharis and things like Pennywort that they can rest on near the surface. Any type of moss tied or glued to rock/wood is also a good idea and floating plants like Water Lettuce & Amazon Frogbit Bettas seem to enjoy.

Sheena-Phx
lilabug4545, I love the look of almost all Crypts, but I'm terrified of the "Crypt Melt". Lol. Can this be grown in sand? And how do I avoid melting? Do I forgo water changes for awhile or are they still okay? I typically do 50% weekly changes. Also, I have very hard water, would these still work?

Sheena-Phx
DillonPhoenix, thank you so much for those suggestions. I was also considering java moss. I love the look of water lettuce and frogbit, but will it still work with such a small surface area? That's my only concern with those. Definitely going with the anacharis, anubias barteri, and pennywort now to start. Thank you!

DillonPhoenix
DillonPhoenix, thank you so much for those suggestions. I was also considering java moss. I love the look of water lettuce and frogbit, but will it still work with such a small surface area? That's my only concern with those. Definitely going with the anacharis, anubias barteri, and pennywort now to start. Thank you!

Water Lettuce and Amazon Frogbit are really easy to control even in smaller tanks, you could let them cover most of the surface if you like that look or just keep removing new plants as they grow off the original plant and then trim the roots every so often when they get too long. Also make sure you don't bury the Anubias rhizome, I attach them to wood & rocks using either cable ties or tiny elastic bands usually used for hair.

Fish0n
I have an unknown plant that came from a "betta bulb" pack at Petco that has flourished. My betta loves "resting" on its leaves as it is tall and near the surface. Also a small banana plant that when it gets larger will be moved. Then some various mosses and an Anubis petite attached to driftwood and a baby water lettuce. The water lettuce stays in front of where my filter pours the water in and I think helps making the flow more gentle.
Other maybe helpful info on upkeep: I have one root tab somewhere in there right now and use liquid fertilizer about once a week as I am trying to get the banana plant to grow. There is 2-3 LEDS and partial natural light which means I get to clean some algae once in awhile. I do ~50% water changes per week just to make sure the debris and fertilizers don't build up. I am off of well water that is extremely stable at good parameters so I don't buffer or treat for any water parameters.

Sheena-Phx
DillonPhoenix, that is wonderful info. Maybe I will go ahead and give one of those a shot. I have larger tanks that I can always transfer excess to if needed as well. I plan on attaching the anubias to some rocks probably. I currently have 2 Java Fern on a sandstone ornament and love the way that looks.

Sheena-Phx
Amanda S., great information. Thank you. I love to here personal experience : ). I really do think those banana plants are adorable, can they grow in sand? And how do you get your water lettuce to stay in one place? Right in front of the filter would be great if I can figure that out. I need to slow that flow down before getting a betta in there I'm sure. I will keep all of your information in mind as far as upkeep goes, I do about the same.

DillonPhoenix
These are what I use to attach plants to wood/rocks they're called poly elastic hair bands and are super cheap and work really well, I think I got mine on ebay a few years ago.

Also I made this last week for one of my Betta boys, It's half a coconut with java moss glued to it. He seems to really love it, so that's just another idea for you!

Sheena-Phx
Hey, DillonPhoenix, I love the coconut shell! That's awesome. Did you prefer any particular brand of glue? I know it has to be the gel type, but do you find specific ones work better? Also, would regular rubber bands work too? Right now I just use fishing line to attach my plants. Here is my Java fern, love it!

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_151851419.jpg
    IMG_20180915_151851419.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 77
DillonPhoenix
Hey, DillonPhoenix, I love the coconut shell! That's awesome. Did you prefer any particular brand of glue? I know it has to be the gel type, but do you find specific ones work better? Also, would regular rubber bands work too? Right now I just use fishing line to attach my plants. Here is my Java fern, love it!
It's looking great already! I really like that colorful centerpiece.

I used liquid Loctite Super Glue for the coconut, I think gel is easier to use but this worked fine for the moss, just make sure it says Cyanoacrylate on the back of the bottle/tube. I'm not sure about regular elastic bands, I use these as they're polyurethane which is definitely aquarium safe.

Sheena-Phx
Thank you! Though this one is another project. It has a little itty bitty Pleco baby in there right now to keep it cycled, but it's eventually just going to be an invertebrate tank. And the baby is getting moved to an 80 gallon once that happens. My 5 gallon for the Betta is bare right now except for the sand and a couple of marimo balls in there. It's cycled and ready to go, just figuring out which plants so I can order them. I have liquid loctite super glue, so that works out just right. Lol. I'll just stick with my fishing line for now, but gluing the moss sounds convenient. I'm going to have to find something worthy of the moss first.

DillonPhoenix
Thank you! Though this one is another project. It has a little itty bitty Pleco baby in there right now to keep it cycled, but it's eventually just going to be an invertebrate tank. And the baby is getting moved to an 80 gallon once that happens. My 5 gallon for the Betta is bare right now except for the sand and a couple of marimo balls in there. It's cycled and ready to go, just figuring out which plants so I can order them. I have liquid loctite super glue, so that works out just right. Lol. I'll just stick with my fishing line for now, but gluing the moss sounds convenient. I'm going to have to find something worthy of the moss first.
Sounds good, you'll have to post a pic when you have the new Betta tank planted and ready to go!

Sheena-Phx
Will do! Thank you for all of the ideas and advice, I really appreciate it. Take care. : )

Fish0n
Amanda S., great information. Thank you. I love to here personal experience : ). I really do think those banana plants are adorable, can they grow in sand? And how do you get your water lettuce to stay in one place? Right in front of the filter would be great if I can figure that out. I need to slow that flow down before getting a betta in there I'm sure. I will keep all of your information in mind as far as upkeep goes, I do about the same.
I have mine in small gravel but I'm pretty sure they can grow in sand. The "banana" part shouldn't be buried in any substrate though. Only thing I can think of is it might take a little longer for its actual roots to attach to sand. And I just put one of the water leaves on the filter right above where the water comes out (my water level is very close to the pour spout to also minimize flow).

Sheena-Phx
Amanda S. , I've read about making sure they don't get buried in the substrate. If I go that route I will probably use a root tab under it and hope it does fine in the sand. They are so cute. I really also like the concept with the water lettuce. Great idea. I like to keep my tanks closer to the spout as well, but evaporation here in Phoenix is crazy with this heat. Hopefully it should start cooling down soon so that isn't such an issue.

Top Bottom