Plant Ideas For A Tetra Tank

Kbille814
I have a 60 gallon freshwater tank. I have various tetras and platies with a few large pleco. Looking to add live plants due to fake ones just not doing it anymore. Dimensions are 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H. Looking for plants that are low to no maintenance. Dwarf hair grass is probably going to be in for ground cover. Other than that, not sure if there are specific plants I should avoid.

Bryangar
lol dwarf hairgrass is not an option if you’re looking for no to low maintenance. Look into the plants max said

Viriam Karo
Java moss is also a pretty easy keeper, if you've got some driftwood you'd like to attach it to it'd be nice. I think you could also have it on mats as kind of a carpet, if you want that kind of grassy look.

Kbille814
By maintenance, I meant trimming. From what I've read and been told, hairgrass only grows about 6 inches high. I don't want plants that will be growing taller than the tank. I have been using a liquid plant food, seeing good growth on plants so far. Another water question though. Been doing 25-40% water changes weekly. Test before changing and keep getting .25-.5 ammonia levels, more .25 though. Is this raise for concern?

max h
Test your tap water for ammonia. I like the tall plants, I already have several that have grown the height of my big tank and just lay over in the current giving a good effect. In nature the plants would do the same thing, unless they have a stiff stem then they would continue growing outside the water.

Kbille814
I'll test from tap. If that's negative, do a larger change or try chemical?

Kbille814
Could blood worms elevate levels? Only feed 1 cube per day.

Bryangar
Could blood worms elevate levels? Only feed 1 cube per day.
There’s like millions of bloodworms in a small cube. But .25 isn’t something to worry about.

max h
Yes excess uneaten food could cause ammonia. Depending on how many fish you have in the tank, depends on the uneaten food. I know on 2 of my tanks they only get frozen blood worms every 3 days or so.

Kbille814
Feed once a day, 1 cube of frozen bloodworms, 8 tiger barbs. Food rarely goes uneaten. I did notice a leaf on my anubias is getting dark, probably contributing.

Kbille814
Think I should feed every other?

-Mak-
The tank height is a big issue if you want dwarf hairgrass, it's a medium to high light plant as is and with a tall tank you're going to need some pretty powerful lights. Java fern glued/tied to wood looks really nice, easy too.

Kbille814
Kbille814
Also, it's a 36 gallon bow front. 24 inch height.

Kbille814
Sorry, I kind of merged topics and tanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vinh
Replies
Views
catsma_97504
Top Bottom