Plant ideals please!

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey plant experts, I need help! I'm growing live plants in both of my tanks, better in the 5 gallon. My problem is I have 8 Buenios Aires tetras in my 29 tank and they love to it most of my plants. So far, they've eaten or nibbled on hornwort, anachris, duckweed & queen marble radican. They've left the java fern & anubius alone.

I'm not getting rid of the ba's, because they're my favorites. Does anyone know of any other plants they'll leave alone?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They shouldn't be harming your plants if there's enough vegtable matter in their diet. I suggest feeding some spirulina flakes & keeping a supply of Duckweed for them to eat. That should be enough to stop or at least limit the damage they do to your other plants.

Java Moss should be fine as would Water Wisteria or Water Sprite. Perhaps Hygrophila Polysperma 'Sunset' would also work well. I'm surprised they are bothering your Sword at all. That would normally be too tough for them to bother with.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll pick up some of the spirulina flakes today & see if that will do the trick.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can also try nori, the seaweed used to make sushi.

Peas, lettuce, spinach and other vegetables are great for fish. All of mine love peas.

-Lisa

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
None of my tetras touch my plants. But then they all have HBH Vegetable Flakes in their diet.NOBODY has ever taken a nibble at hornwort, it tastes AWFUL, I'm guessing. So your fish must be STARVING.

Also it's possible that they are eating organisms that live on your plants and not harming the plant itself at all, unless you see damage on the plant.

W

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, their eating the plants. My hornworts been cut in half. The queen marble has been devestated and about half my anachris are gone. I know the ba's are ferocious eaters, so I feed them twice a day and alot. Maybe I should feed them more. I'll give it a try and start testing my water more frequently to make sure it doesn't kick into a mini cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads