Plant ID

Mhamilton0911

Hello, I have 2 plants I need ID for, both I recieved as hitchhikers with other plants, basically just a sprout with a root. I grew both in dirted jars in my kitchen window until they were big enough to transplant.

First one is about 4" tall now. Single stem with leaves about 1.5-2" long, slender, maybe about .5" wide.

20201217_185730.jpg

Second shot from above

20201217_185816.jpg

Second plant is I think Rotala? I got it at the same time, just a sprout that I grew in a second dirted jar. It has also sent a runner that grew vertical stems from that.

20201216_104610.jpg

ProudPapa

I'd expect the leaves to be more scalloped, but the first one kinda looks like water wisteria. Mine has some similar leaves is why I said that.

I suspect you're right about the second being a rotala, but it could be a bacopa. I'm sure someone else will know.

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

I'll look into the wisteria, to see if its similar.

I have lots of bacopa, I don't think the second is it. I'm thinking rotala only through my digging, but still could wrong.

Vishaquatics would you happen to know? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

FishGirl115

I definitely think the first is wisteria. A few of my plants have those kind of leaves

Upvote 0

Vishaquatics

First one is water wisteria, second one is rotala rotundifolia.

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

First one is water wisteria, second one is rotala rotundifolia.

Thanks for the input! The wisteria stumped me, all the pictures look much different in leaf structure, but I did read that the growth differs based on conditions, but I still found no other like it. But now I have an idea so I can check out the care. Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Vishaquatics

Thanks for the input! The wisteria stumped me, all the pictures look much different in leaf structure, but I did read that the growth differs based on conditions, but I still found no other like it. But now I have an idea so I can check out the care. Thanks!!

The wisteria was a bit of tricky one for sure. Wisteria varies drastically based on lighting and water temperature, as well as the age of the shoots. In most warmer aquariums, it gets those nice pinnate leaves over time. You'll notice leaves like this if this plant is a baby shoot, or if it was grown in cold conditions. When I grew submersed plants in sunlight, I'd get super nice pinnate leaves in the summer through fall when the temps were warm. When the seasons got colder, the leaves would become broad and looked more like the photo you've posted.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MrBryan723
Replies
Views
fissh
Replies
Views
fjh