Plant Id/suggestions Based On Sample Pic

1. P

Plants New Member Member

Hello, I'm planning on making a small aquarium to fit in an Ikea Kallax shelf. I made a sample picture and would like to know what plants would best match the ones in the sample picture.

The aquarium has an internal sump type filter with sponges, ceramic noodles, and K1 bio media. There is a heater as well.

Top left is a bushy plant 6" tall
    Top right is a thin leafed grass like plant that reaches the top of the aquarium at 10-11" tall
    At the front is a low growing ground cover at .5-1" tall
    In the center is a leafy plant 3" tall

There are groups of tall stick like pieces of wood in the top left and bottom right corner.
    The tallest stick is about 8" tall at the back, the smallest stick is 3" tall at the front.
    There are 5 sticks in total, the remaining sticks between 7-4" in height. They are somewhat flat sided and all 1-1.5 inches wide and .5-1 inch thick.
    There are two large rocks in the middle, one on the left is 3" tall one on the right 6" tall. Both are 5" wide and 3" thick.
    There are two small stones at the front, one on the left and one on the right, both are 1-1.5" tall and 3" wide, 2" thick.

If you also have a recommendation for lighting or substrate I would love to know!

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Jungle val for plant 2...
    Anubias for 3
    Not sure about 1, but I'd say crypt wendtii could work

Also what program did you use for this design? :)

3. OP
    OP
    P

Plants New Member Member

ooh! Yeah vallisneria looks exactly like what I was thinking of for #2!
    Anubias looks good for plant 4 in the middle.
    mmm I like the colour of the crypt wendtii.
    Thanks Kayla.s!

I used Realtime Landscape Architecture. It's super easy to use and despite being trial version has very few restrictions unlike other program trials. A lot easier to use than google sketch up.

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

For the foreground, i would suggest some hydrocotlye tripitara japan... it can be trained as a foreground.

Another plant i would consider is tropica sword and a transition plant from fore to mid ground.

5. OP
    OP
    P

Plants New Member Member

Thanks aussieJJDude,

oh! That hydrocotlye is super cute, it looks like a miniature perennial geranium.
    The tropica sword looks really compact and would be a good size for plant 1.

Plant number 4 in the middle is supposed to be a transition plant, should I look at one of a bigger size or add another plant in another location of the tank?

6. aussieJJDude

I would stick with anubias for 4. Theres loads of varieties out there, some grow large (like barteri and cofferforia) others not so much (pangolino and petite). Some come in interesting colour variations (stardust, pinto, white and golden nana) as well!

If anubias doesn't tickle the fancy, i would suggest Bucephlandra! Loads of varieties to choose from, and many have interesting colouration (like blues and red hues to them!) Likewise, loads of sizes and leaf patterns to choose from!

7. OP
    OP
    P

Plants New Member Member

Oh wow, I hadn't realized there were so many varieties of anubias!

The Bucephlaandra make me think of bugelweed in the garden, I'll have to look into the varieties of this one as well but, I think I'm leaning more toward the anubias.

8. kayla.s

Yeah there's many varieties of anubias, my favorite plant :D for substrate, you might be able to get away with just black Diamond blasting sand. Unless you want to use an actual soil. I grow all the plants I suggested in BDBS without issue. Anubias doesn't want it's roots buried and you'll need to attach it to something. I add seachem flourish once a week and the plants do well :)

9. aussieJJDude

Yeah, many dont realise that theres more that one colour morph. I will mentioned that I only named many of the common varieties, but there's loads more!

Yeah, some buce does have similar colouration to the bugelweed, but a lot smaller and their white dots on their leaves certainly do look interesting!

If you dont want a rhizome plant, another i would suggest is lobelia cardinalis....

10. OP
    OP
    P

Plants New Member Member

Ok I'm definitely going with an anubias for plant 4. I'll probably mount it on one of the rocks if it doesn't like have it's rhizomes buried. I just have to find which variety I like best :D

Plant 2 will be jungle vallisneria. For 3 we have hydrocotlye tripitara japan as a ground cover. Plant 1 might be crypt wendtii or the tropica sword.

Would you consider these plants easy to grow? I know anubias and crypts is considered easy what about the vallisneria, hydrocotlye, and tropica sword?

11. kayla.s

I find the val to be quite easy. Nothing too special to grow it, and it grows quite fast too I find. Some ground cover plants can be difficult and need co2 injection, but I think I might remember hearing the htj is one of the less demanding, I'll try get more info for you on that :)

12. kayla.s

13. OP
    OP
    P

Plants New Member Member

:D Thank you!
    I think my local fish store stocks from this company too!
    I'm really excited about getting this tank together.

I'll have to see if I can get some blasting sand anywhere too... Would concrete, sharp, or brick sand be an ok alternative?

14. kayla.s

Hmm I'm not too sure about those... but ask around. What are you planning on stocking in this tank? That may determine what is a suitable substrate too.

15. OP
    OP
    P

Plants New Member Member

The tanks about 8 gal so I figured a betta would be about it...

16. kayla.s

A Betta would work, but maybe go take a peak at some of these options
    Stocking List for 10 Gallons
    I don't agree with all of them, but some could definitely work in a tank your size :)

17. aussieJJDude

Yep. Currently have all, extremely easy to grow!

With the tripitara, you will have to train to spread in a low light setup - what you will likely have. Its as simple as weighting down the runners with small pebbles until they root...

18. OP
    OP
    P

Plants New Member Member

Could I pin runners down with half paper clips or is the metal of paper clips ill advised? (break paper clip in half to get to u/n shapes) like_n_ if that makes any sense?

How do you know how many fish you can have in a tank? I've heard some people say 1 fish (or 1" of fish) per Gallon, but I don't know how accurate this is?

19. kayla.s

No the size of the fish doesn't always determine their tank size needs. How active they are, territorial they are and their bioload are some other factors to take in to account :) I'd suggest coming up with a stocking plan and then post it here on fishlore and some people can assist you in knowing whether it's too much or you could do more.

20. aussieJJDude

Agreed.

Some people have done that with paperclips. I tend to just use hardscape since you know it will be inert and 100% fish safe.