Plant ID? looks like giant anubis

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Hussain, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Hussain

Hussain Valued Member Member

Hello everyone,

I was in vacation in Thailand/Bangkok, and i bought some plants from there since they are not available in my country. it look like giant Anubis but I'm not sure, its rooted to a rock with java moss. Need help ID, its height about 30cm. 1 feet.

Should i put it in the gravel or better to be on rock/driftwood?

My tank looks awful because of the heavy light and just finished the cycle today. full of algae and ton of hair algae. :)

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    It's possible that it's Anubias heterophylla . See if this looks like it.  
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    Hussain

Yeah it looks like, but the leaf looks little different. in the plant i have the leaf end is more rounded than Anubis heterophylla, so its a kind of Anubis? its better to put it in the gravel or on Driftwood?

Thanks Carol.

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Not sure exactly what it is but the veins in the leaves make it look more like a sword than an anubius.

I would probably bury the rock just under the surface of the substrate leaving the rhizome exposed.

5. Butterfly

Looking at the root system would help.
    You can lay Anubias on the gravel and put a rock on it to hold it down until it takes hold works real well. I don't think this type of Anubias has a rhizome like some of the others do.
    Carol

That's what I thought also but this is the only Anubias that I know of that looks kind of like that :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    Hussain

Yeah it doesn't look like Anubis, I'm not sure if it's an aquarium plant either, lol i just bought it for the java moss on the rock, the cost is 1 dollar :D

I Don't know should i keep it in the gravel and give it a try or just remove it from the rock?

Any Suggestions welcome :D

Better picture of the roots is attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. Butterfly

Thanks for the pics I have some with roots like that. The larger anubias that stand straight up have thick heavy roots (instead of a rhizome that goes horizontally) coming from a thick part of the plant. I really don't know how to explain it.
    Carol
    If you go here https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/members-fish-tanks/21039-75g-re-done.html#post341483 look at post 3 & 5 you can see Anubias of both kinds The A coffefolia and a barteri have Rhizomes. the A.gigantae, A. graclis, and A lancelota have roots like the one you have.
    carol

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    Hussain

that mean there is no problem if i remove it from the rock, and dig it into the gravel, And give it a try. I Really need the stone with java moss to my other tank.

Thanks.

9. Butterfly

Rather than dig in the gravel and plant it, Anubias usually does better if you sit it on the substrate then use rocks to anchor it. eventually it will send roots into the substrate but will frequently smother if planted completely.
    Since your going to take it off the rock anyway take a pic of the bottom of the plant an roots for me please. thanks
    carol

10. OP
    OP
    Hussain

Sure carol, i will do it tomorrow afternoon, its 12am here. Have work tomorrow morning.

I Appreciate your help, Thanks.

11. Butterfly

np it's only 3:4pm here :)
    I edited my post above to direct you to some more anubias pictures :)
    Carol

12. OP
    OP
    Hussain

I've checked the post 3 & 5, none of them looks like the one i have. Mine have rounded leaf end.
    :S
    Ive split the plant into 3, they were 3 and i attached on to Driftwood and the other two into the gravel. and going to see if it grows, I'm running with 2x metal halide lamps each is 250 watts (5100K) and 2x T5 tube 39 watts (14000K White) Total is 570 watts on 130gal tank. I'm Going to change the T5 once i order new lambs from the UK.

Here are the pictures for the roots:

Attached Files:

13. OP
    OP
    Hussain

Second Pictures:

Attached Files:

14. OP
    OP
    Hussain

Last Pictures,

Well I tired to tie up one of them into the driftwood, but I'm not sure if that's right way to tie it or its going to mount it roots to the driftwood, and some java moss on the other side.

My have a lot of algae because i used to let it cycle from seeded filter and the lights running 12 hours a day. give it 3 days and all the algae will be eaten :)

Thanks.

Attached Files:

15. Butterfly

thanks for the pics. They confirm that it is an Anubias of some kind. I knew I didn't have any just like yours but I was trying to illustrate that the ones that get big and grow straight up Have that kind of root not a rhizome.
    Carol

16. OP
    OP
    Hussain

You're most welcome carol,
    It's not rhizome, then i have to remove it from the driftwood and root it into the gravel, but lets give it a try.

thanks.

17. Butterfly

Sounds good :)
    carol

18. A

AmyGSmith New Member Member

I could be wrong, but it looks a lot like a Melon Sword to me. I have a Red Melon Sword and the leaves look a lot like that. Melon Swords at least CAN be planted straight into the substrate. I'm not sure how well they do attached to rocks or driftwood. Hope this helps!

19. OP
    OP
    Hussain

Yeah that's the most plant its look like, but still there is difference with the leaf, but I'm going to give it a try in the substrate+Driftwood and see the results.

Thank you ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice