Plant ID help

RayRay

One of my mystery plants flowered today and I was wondering if someone could ID it for me. I know its a type of aponogeton but other than that I have no idea.

also, can anyone tell me why some of its leaves are curling up like that?

TedsTank

You are correct...exact species I don't know. The curling is ok...it's the plant type habit.

If you leave the flowers they will produce good. At least they did for me, I probably had about 20 babies pop up in my tank. I don't know what pollinated them....take a q-tip and rub it over the flowers and share the pollen!!!

RayRay

Hurray about the curling, I was worried about it.

Right now this is the only one that's flowering and I'm not even sure if the others I have are the same kind (the bf bought one of those mystery bulb packs) so who knows if I can even get results pollinating them. Or can I pollinate it with flowers from the same plant? *clueless*

bass master

The flowers can pollinate themselves, you can rub each flower with a q tip as suggested just to stir up the pollen on each of the little flowers, you shouldnt have to worry about cross pollinating or anything. I believe that is the flower of a hybrid aponogeton, I have one of those growing my tank that has flowers just like that and the best I could conclude from researching via google was that it is a hybrid.

RayRay

awesome, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help!

snail_chen

Yes, it is definitely aponogeton sp. My Aponogeton ulvaceus keeps flowering similarly and I have to cut them. But don't expect them to produce useful seeds for you, at least splitting the mother plant is a quicker way...

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom