Plant ID help

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of my mystery plants flowered today and I was wondering if someone could ID it for me. I know its a type of aponogeton but other than that I have no idea.

320.jpg

321.jpg

322.jpg

also, can anyone tell me why some of its leaves are curling up like that?

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are correct...exact species I don't know. The curling is ok...it's the plant type habit.

If you leave the flowers they will produce good. At least they did for me, I probably had about 20 babies pop up in my tank. I don't know what pollinated them....take a q-tip and rub it over the flowers and share the pollen!!!

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hurray about the curling, I was worried about it.

Right now this is the only one that's flowering and I'm not even sure if the others I have are the same kind (the bf bought one of those mystery bulb packs) so who knows if I can even get results pollinating them. Or can I pollinate it with flowers from the same plant? *clueless*

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The flowers can pollinate themselves, you can rub each flower with a q tip as suggested just to stir up the pollen on each of the little flowers, you shouldnt have to worry about cross pollinating or anything. I believe that is the flower of a hybrid aponogeton, I have one of those growing my tank that has flowers just like that and the best I could conclude from researching via google was that it is a hybrid.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
awesome, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help!

snail_chen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, it is definitely aponogeton sp. My Aponogeton ulvaceus keeps flowering similarly and I have to cut them. But don't expect them to produce useful seeds for you, at least splitting the mother plant is a quicker way...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom