Plant ID help

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I got this plant from Petsmart along with the driftwood it's in a couple weeks ago, and I haven't been able to determine what it is, so I'm wondering if any of you know. Hopefully the picture quality is good enough. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Weird... I was thinking a type of crypt, but those roots look like bamboo. ???

3. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

hmm, does anyone else have any ideas?

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

How about a picture of the whole plant including the roots. The leaves look kind of like Anubias.
    carol

5. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well, it's already in a log, so I'm not sure you can see the roots, but i'll try to get one soon

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

7. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well, I can't actually see the roots so I'm not sure. It's in a log that has a hole in the middle that it's buried in, and idk if I can uproot it or not

8. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

ok, i was looking really close and it appears to have the ridges like a bamboo stalk does, so unless another plant does that i think it's bamboo. With that being the case, what should I do with it?

9. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Well bamboo is not a true aquatic plant, but was it sold to you as such?

10. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well, actually I bought the piece of wood that it's in bc I wanted a piece of driftwood and it had the plant growing from it. No one at Petsmart knew anything about it, but i got it anyway just bc i wanted the wood a lot.

11. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Oh, so it wasn't submersed in water when you bought it? I know that you can hve bamboo in water as long as its leaves and top are out of the water.

12. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well actually it was in water thats y i assumed it was a good water plant but bamboo isnt so im frustrated that theyd put it in a tank

13. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Well, maybe it isn't, or maybe they just have no idea what they are doing. Maybe you could just remove the plant and replace it with an anubias, if you like the look of the plant there.

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Bamboo is not fully aquatic as it needs its leaves out of the water or it will die slowly. Can you raise the log to expose the leaves to air? Otherwise, remove the plant.

15. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I'm not able to raise it, so I'll remove it today. It makes sense that it's bamboo bc the leaves have slowly been dying

16. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

i've never seen bamboo with leaves like that; i've picked up the "log plants" from petsmart a couple of times, once was a lace java fern, the other was a plain ordinary java fern, but that is definitely not. and ime, petsmart usually keeps their bamboo out of the water, just so it doesn't rot. is there anything else that could possibly be?

17. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well, I don't know plants well, so I'm not sure if it is something else or not. I might try to uproot it and see what the roots look like

18. Easy Initiate Member

My lfs sells drift wood with anubas in it and I believe that's what that is. If so its a fast growing plant even in low light.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

19. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

I agree the leaves look like anubias, but the stems are like lucky bamboo. This has me totally stumped!???