Plant ID help pt. 2

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well, last time this plant never got 100% verified so I took more pictures and hopefully those will help. As you can see the leaves are mostly dead, but have been in this exact state for a week now, and the plant has grown some since I got it but not tons.

Thanks for any ideas!

Attached Files:

2. Marine Man Member Member

thats odd, never seen it before

l

try a pet store

hope that helps

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Hopefully someone will be able to ID the plant for you today.

Ken

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

It doesn't look like an aquatic plant. How long have you had it?

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

That stalk makes me think a variant of a bamboo but I have not normally seen it split like that at the top.

Dena poses some good questions that will go a long ways in answering the question.

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not great at ID'ing plants but it looks like a philodendron (which is not aquatic).
    The 'stalk' will look like that where leaves have fallen off or died.

8. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

9. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like an Anubias?

10. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I've had it over a month now, maybe even 2, it's hard to completely remember. Thanks for all the help guys!

11. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I was wondering that myself.

12. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well i just went through that planted tank guide and it kinda looked like lizard's tail. What do u guys think of that?

13. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

The leaves look a lot like the leaves of anubias but the stems are too thick and the wrong shape, I also can't see a rhizome.

14. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I can't tell by the stem. The top does resemble the lizard's tail, but all photos are out of water.

15. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

hmm, should I pull the plant out of the driftwood and see what the roots look like?

16. Steve106 Member Member

Based on the stems and the way the leaves are sprouting, my guess would also be some variant of bamboo. Which, while generally ill-advised in an aquarium, i have had good results with. I have a couple bamboo stalks in the bank corner of one of my tank and they are growing multiple side shoots with new leaves and all. So it may work for you, to be on the safe side you can always position it closer to the surface so the leaves can start to grow out of the water. Just my 2cents