Plant Id And Some Help

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Otag, Feb 5, 2019.

1. OtagNew MemberMember

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I got the big plant in the back form someone online saying it was a 'Red Flame Sword'. I tried looking up stuff online, but can't find it.

Also, as you can see some leaves are dying...i know some plants go thru a melting phase with new tanks, but these leaves are straight up dead. I've cut off about 4 leaves so far. Is it possible that my panda cories are eating it? or maybe the snail/shrimp?

Also, what do i do with the long stem that goes to the top?

Just really want to know what to do to save this plant.

2. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

That long stem is called a "runner" and it is producing baby plants. :)

It looks almost like that plant was grown emersed (which means it was grown OUT of the water) and it has some transitioning to do.

If it isn't a red flame sword...it also looks like it could be a red melon sword.

Put a root tab underneath it (if you haven't already) swords are heavy root feeders. So if you don't have special substrate, you need to use root tabs.

3. Craig.GValued MemberMember

Definitely looks like a sword to me. They can melt like that if your water has even slightly different parameters. The stem going to the top is a spike. That's how they reproduce. You can cut it if you want. Shrimp and corys don't typically bother plants like that. It could have been grown out of water and will almost completely die back and you'll start seeing new growth or it's not getting enough nutrients. They are very heavy root feeders.

4. OtagNew MemberMember

Yeah i read last night, that i should take it out of the pot...which i'll do today. It's just starting to look really rough. With that spike, would i cut that and plant it?

5. Craig.GValued MemberMember

At the very end there will be a new plant starting. If it has roots already you can definitely plant it.

6. OtagNew MemberMember

I have eco-complete as a substrate. Hopefully once it's properly planted it will bounce back a little bit. I'm going to pick up some sort of liquid fertilizer soon. Help out the rest of the plants as well.

7. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

In my opinion, root feeders don't really need liquid fertilizers as much. As long as they have good nutrition for their roots, they should do great.

Yes, if you still have it in its pot it was in when you got it, get it out of there right away.

Personally, I would not cut off the runner. Let it produce baby plants for you. I already see several little nubs on there that will turn into plants. Leave it there for a while.

I am pretty sure that plant was grown emersed, so it will struggle a bit during the transition period. But it should bounce back fine.

8. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Here's a visual for you...

Here is my red melon sword. The left pic is when I got it. And it had been grown emersed. The pic on the right is much later after it transitioned. You can still see some of the emersed leaves still there. They wont all melt.
    20190205_100729.jpg

And here is a runner I cut off of an Amazon sword after letting it grow babies for a while. Yours obviously won't get this large. But you get the idea! 20180224_150425.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  9. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Unforunatly the eco is pretty much useless. Some nutrients when first installed but there gone in a month or so. I’m also using it :(. You will need root tabs. I use osmocote and api root tabs and the flourish line of liquid ferts.

10. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

I keep my swords planted in pots actually. It allows me to use soil for the roots (swords love dirt!) and keeps the roots together instead of taking up the whole footprint of the tank bottom. It also makes it easy to move if you have to and encourages it to send up spikes or grow more off the base. All my swords need is a pot full of dirt and root tab ever now and then. Beautiful plant!

11. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I am going to assume it is still in the pot from the store. The black ones with slits...that have the roots wrapped in that stuffing stuff. Whatever it is called.

I agree, a real pot with sand/dirt...with room for the roots to grow and a root tab is great. As you can see by my photo, I have done the same!

12. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Thanks, yes a real pot. I use 3 x 3" glass cubes.

13. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I think I will be trying the pots. Are they ceramic or plastic? What kind of dirt can I use? And what do you cap it with.

14. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I use terracotta pots.
    I use cheap sand blasting sand with a root tab.

15. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Sand to cap? Or fill with sand?