Plant i have never seen anything like before!?!?

josh40996

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So with an order of plants i got in a while back, i noticed had a little 2cm long piece of plant that i thought i would keep and see what it would grow into, a while later it has grown and i want to know what it is. I am normally quite good with plant names but i have never actually come across a plant like this. It is very long but is very thin (~0.mm) and has very tiny balls (1mm) every 2 cm or so along the main "stem" that i guess are leafs. It seems to like to wrap its self around other plants to use as support as it didn't really grow that much at all until it had secured its self to another plant then it took off and is now trying to take over the whole tank. Anyone have a clue on what it might be?

P.s i couldn't get any good pics of it. My camera wouldn't focus on it.

Attachments

mosaicguppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Might be hornwort? I had a little bit of that stuff on my lacefern and didn't know what it was until the little bit grew into a tiny hornwort. Give it some time to grow.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We call it strangle weed in this area.
I will see if I cannot find the real name.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like typical bladderwort, a tenacious carnivorous plant that can often times hitchhike on new plants into your tank. It shouldn't pose any real problems to your tank as long as you don't mind the way it looks, although I will warn you it's very tough to get rid of. No matter how much of it I rip out of my tank at each water change it always manages to come back by the next one.

Here's a link you might find helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utricularia

-Bass master

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Utricularia minor or lesser bladderwort appears to be the plant you have.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom