Plant help

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, I haven’t been very active lately, so sorry about that.

I have had 2 tanks for about 11 months, I’ve had an 11 gallon since August of last year, and a 40 breeder since January of this year.

In the 11 gallon, my dwarf sag carpet is absolutely thriving, but my crypt is slowly dying.
30EDDE9A-D826-4F57-8F75-E5A0D455E5C9.jpeg

As you can see, it is slowly thinning out, to the point where there isn’t any growth now. Keep in mind, this plant has been in that exact spot since August of 2019. There are also a couple java ferns who’s leaves have been slowly turning yellow and then brown.

In the 40 breeder, I’ve got 4 Amazon swords that have been there since January of 2020.
466A2442-532E-42D0-969D-7AE4CE398F48.jpeg

At first, I thought the plants were just melting, and converting from emerged to submerged, but as far as I can tell, they’re still losing leaves. Should they really still be melting after 6 months??

P.S: I used Seachem root tabs for about 4 months, but last month, I switched to Nilog thrive caps, because the plants weren’t doing well.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you dose a liquid fert also? They look like what my Crypts and Swords looked like. I was told to up my ferts because they needed more. My new crypt leaves are good now and sprouting all over. My sword still is looking like that though. So I don't know about that one.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So are you currently using root tabs then? Crypts and Swords are heavy root feeders and rely solely on roottabs for all their nutrients, i also suggests liquid fertilizers, they help out too. Hows your lighting? Whats the watt and is it full spectrum for planted tanks?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl said:
Do you dose a liquid fert also? They look like what my Crypts and Swords looked like. I was told to up my ferts because they needed more. My new crypt leaves are good now and sprouting all over. My sword still is looking like that though. So I don't know about that one.
my sword still looks like this too. and i feel just like OP as i dont know if its dying or just melting

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nickguy5467 said:
my sword still looks like this too. and i feel just like OP as i dont know if its dying or just melting
Well his swords arent melting. You can tell because its just the tips that are having issues so its a nutrient deficiency going on, not melting.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Well his swords arent melting. You can tell because its just the tips that are having issues so its a nutrient deficiency going on, not melting.
i just checked my sword. it looks nothing like that lol. i withdraw my statement. just those 2 bottom leaves i dont know whats up with them... moving on
IMG_20200704_190310867.jpg

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nickguy5467 said:
i just checked my sword. it looks nothing like that lol. i withdraw my statement. just those 2 bottom leaves i dont know whats up with them... moving on
IMG_20200704_190310867.jpg
If you have yellow new growth they need Iron.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl said:
If you have yellow new growth they need Iron.
supposedly there is iron in potting soil. but i also dose 3(squirts) of thrive+ every other day except sunday

sorry i didnt mean to overlap your post OP. im learning too :p

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
So are you currently using root tabs then? Crypts and Swords are heavy root feeders and rely solely on roottabs for all their nutrients, i also suggests liquid fertilizers, they help out too. Hows your lighting? Whats the watt and is it full spectrum for planted tanks?
Yes, they currently have Nilog thrive capsules underneath them. The lighting for the swords is a fluval aquasky, and the lighting for the crypt and java ferns is a fluval COB light. I run them from 3 in the afternoon to 9:30 at night.

I do dose Nilog thrive S liquid ferts, but only twice a week. Should I increase this? I used to do three times a week, but then I had some bad algae for a while.

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Do you know what deficiency it is?
image.jpg

Here’s the analysis of the Nilog thrive capsules

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have several Amazon swords that have grown massive. I attached a photo of some of the ones in my 20g. As you can see its huge. I use aquarium coop easy green and easy iron. As well as root tabs. They are mainly root feeders. Iron also is something they need. usually you can tell when the leaves turn yellow. I'd definitely look into a fertilizer if you haven't already. I recommend easy green and easy iron as well as whatever root tabs.
As far as the crypts, I find with mine they also need root tabs but also benefit from a fertilizer as well. When you first get them they melt. I've had ones were they looked fine for like 3 months though and then melted and grew new leaves. You didn't move them at all did you? They seem to be sensitive to being moved around or changes to the environment.
20200705_133852.jpg

OP
KingJamal2

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mike1995 said:
I have several Amazon swords that have grown massive. I attached a photo of some of the ones in my 20g. As you can see its huge. I use aquarium coop easy green and easy iron. As well as root tabs. They are mainly root feeders. Iron also is something they need. usually you can tell when the leaves turn yellow. I'd definitely look into a fertilizer if you haven't already. I recommend easy green and easy iron as well as whatever root tabs.
As far as the crypts, I find with mine they also need root tabs but also benefit from a fertilizer as well. When you first get them they melt. I've had ones were they looked fine for like 3 months though and then melted and grew new leaves. You didn't move them at all did you? They seem to be sensitive to being moved around or changes to the environment.
20200705_133852.jpg
No, I have never moved my crypts, nor have I moved the swords. As I’ve said, they both have seachem root tabs, and Nilog thrive root capsules.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
KingJamal2 said:
Yes, they currently have Nilog thrive capsules underneath them. The lighting for the swords is a fluval aquasky, and the lighting for the crypt and java ferns is a fluval COB light. I run them from 3 in the afternoon to 9:30 at night.

I do dose Nilog thrive S liquid ferts, but only twice a week. Should I increase this? I used to do three times a week, but then I had some bad algae for a while.
Imo , your crypts look fine. There will always be 1-2 leaves dying but that normal. Your Crypts are long and have a nice green to it. Try adding another root tab directly underneath them.

For your amazon swords, do you have a separate iron fertilzer to dose? They require high full spectrum lighting ( pearling) root tabs, fertilizers + iron if you want them to fully thrive. Any plant will also benefit from added co2 as well.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
KingJamal2 said:
No, I have never moved my crypts, nor have I moved the swords. As I’ve said, they both have seachem root tabs, and Nilog thrive root capsules.
You need an iron fertilizer. just trying to help. :stop:

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mike1995 said:
20200705_133852.jpg
wow. is that a fish tank with swords in it or a sword tank with fish in it?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nickguy5467 said:
so all in one ferts dont provide needed iron?
Not enough sometimes ! Some plants require more of one fertilizer, so Seachem makes them all in separate bottles as well! I use Seachems Iron as well as ThriveC and co2

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crypts are so strange. I have moved mine all around the tank and they are fine. Never even melted when I got them. Mine looked like yours with what looked like little bites on the flat part of the leaves. I thought a fish was eating them. I upped the fert and all of the new leaves look good now. Im starting to think swords don't like high pH water? My crypts and Vals are growing like mad.

Nickguy5467 said:
so all in one ferts dont provide needed iron?
Sometimes not enough and they need a boost.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KingJamal2 said:
The lighting for the swords is a fluval aquasky, and the lighting for the crypt and java ferns is a fluval COB light. I run them from 3 in the afternoon to 9:30 at night.
I was under the impression that planted tanks needed at least 8 hours daily? Someone correct me if wrong, but that may be at least partly the issue.

New Threads