Plant help

1. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

I have no idea what my plants are called. Thay are tall and have no leaves. Thay keep dieing. And pieces fall off. I have the light on for 8 hours a day. Thay are in gravel. Any ideas? Tanks!!

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

If you could upload a picture we can identify what type of plants they are and what their needs are. It's likely they have either insufficient lighting or fertilizer. What kind of lighting do you have -- LED, fluorescent, incandescent? And what is the wattage and tank size? Do you fertilize at all?

3. OP
    OP
    A

I think it's vallisneria. The leaves are falling off and the rest Looks like it went through the shredder. I have fluorescent light and I don't d fertilizer. This is a 29 gallon tank.

4. r

renthus Well Known Member Member

As Fisc said, pictures would be helpful (and in fact are necessary).

5. OP
    OP
    A

I will get picks up as soon as I get home from work. I just figured out how to do picks also. I made the account 2 days ago

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Jungle vals (vallisneria) is a water column feeder. It will benefit from regular dosage of ferts and will also benefit from seachem excel (a source of carbon). Do you know what type of lights you are using? Jungle Val is a low light plant, but would still appreciate a bulb rated for plant growth. For even the best beginner plants, ferts, carbon (CO2/excel), and light are something to consider when having issues.

It is pretty common for vals to turn yellow and brittle when dosing of excel is sporadic. It is also common for vals to experience yellowing when first introduced to a new tank.

What do you think Dolfan ?

7. OP
    OP
    A

It's a fluorescent light. I keep it on 8 hours a day. It has been dieing sence I moved it from my 10 into my 29

8. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, there are many flourescent lights out there, and not all are created equal when providing plants with light. You will hear a lot of talk about wattage and lumens on different forums when it comes to light. Disregard it. Plants require a type of light referred to as photosynthetic active radiation (PAR). So, while a plant may appear illuminated by a flourescent bulb, it may not be receiving the type of light it needs for photosynthesis (PAR).

Are you using the same bulb that came with your tank? If so, it is probably a T8 flourescent that is not useful for growing plants.

Edit: If the bulb you are using continues to grow other plants, or you have seen plants grow under this light, I still think it is likely that the plant is yellowing because it was moved. How long ago did you move it?

9. OP
    OP
    A

Yes I am using tht bulb. And thanks for the help. Really usefull!!!

10. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Many plants will experience a melt back when being moved, they should recover in time and eventually shooting out some new leaves/growth. What wattage is your bulb? What kelvin rating? You want something in the 6500k rating range.

As for excel and Vals, they can be sensitive to it. What I have done and read that many recommend is to slowly acclimated the vals to using excel. For example, using 1/4 dose for a week, then 1/2 dose for a week, then 3/4 dose for a week, then finally full dosage. If it any point they look like they are stressed stop and go back to the previous lower amount of dosage.

11. OP
    OP
    A

Great thx!!! Here's a pic of the plant! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407364138.292744.jpg . Wow in the pic the plants look good but in real like there yellow here's another leaf that fell off ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407364237.524091.jpg