Plant help

1. Easy Initiate Member

Hey guys im new to plant keeping and I can't tell if im having luck or not. I've had all these plants for a month and a half. The java and what I think is guppy grass my uncle gave me but I about killed it by leaving it in the bag to long. But none of them seem to be growing or rooting much. Any sugestions on plants a will have more luck with? I plan to take most or all of the red rock out once I get a better hold on the plant thing. I put then tablets in the rocks near the plants That are supposed to help them root and another thing worth mentioning is my water temp is 82 for my discus and my water is close to perfect and I do about a 25% water change weekly. Also can you help me identify the plants I have now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last pic is The bulbs I use

[​IMG]

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I think that the 2nd to last pic would be a water sprite but im not sure, the other plant i have no clue

3. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

The second looks a lot like onion plant, which is a bulb. One of mine is huge, but growing slowly. The other I just got as a bulb, it's growth is incredible. Its a few inches tall and already sending up a second leaf. The third might be hornwort, which is why its not rooting- that's a floating plant, and really easy to keep. In the first, it looks like what Petco dubbs 'lemon bacopa', which I think is also pretty easy, and not a big rooted plant. The first also appears to have some amazon sword or something, but it's hard to tell. I'm not sure about the fourth though.

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

First pic looks like some sort of Bacopa-medium to bright light.

Second looks like a onion plant. Dose it have a bulb? Medium to bright light.

Third maybe Hornwort. :;sh

Forth looks like Hornwort. Plant that floats. Great for sucking up nutrients.

If you are not noticing growth then you need to take a look at your lighting.

Low light = slow growth

What bulbs do you have? Wattage?

5. escapay Well Known Member Member

6. Easy Initiate Member

The bulbs are ge 40 w wide spectrum aquarium and plant bulbs. None of The plants have a bulb on them. What did you think this was?
    [​IMG]

The long sword type plant is just not doing well but I think the high heat I had the tank set to to kill some ick may have done it in.

7. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

My second choice for second pic would be Jungle Vallis.

Hornwort.

It appears you have a T12 flourcent bulb. Dose the lighting appear to be dim? Just one bulb? What size tank?

Dose the Sword have a balanced root tab? Like Flourish Root tabs which gives the nutrients it needs.

8. Easy Initiate Member

Yes I do have root tabs and there is 2 bulbs the tank seems well lit to me the tank is 70 gal

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

The lighting you have is considered low light. I would also replace the bulbs if they are over a year old, that may help give the plants a boost. Some plants are also just slow growers as well.

10. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Yup, you've got low lighting for that size tank.

Good beginner plants would be Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubias. Jungle Vallis as well. These plants are amphibious, so tied to rocks, driftwood or any decorations. Lowlight plants, easy & slow growing.

Standard flourcent bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months.

If you are interested in more then upgrading your lights would be the next step. T5HO (high output) fixture you can just about grow anything.

11. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

T5HO is great, I have a 2 bulb 48inch unit on my 75gal and man plants grew like weeds! all I used was a little liquid fertilizer and root tabs and my tank was a jungle.

12. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Here are my thoughts on your plants:

1. Moneywort, bacopa moneri. Moderate to high light; needs ferts in the water column
    2. Some type of Val. Good for low light; needs substrate ferts
    3. Hornwort, Ceratophyllum demersum. Can grow in low light, but may shed its leaves. Pulls nutrients out of the water column. Makes a great floating plant or can be planted if you'd like it to root in the substrate.
    4. Green Cabomba, Cabomba caroliniana. Moderate to high light; needs ferts in the water column.

With two 40watt bulbs over a 70G tank, you have low to very low lighting. How old are your bulbs? T8/T12 tubes should be replaced every 6-9 months.

For the best success with these plants, more light will be required.

Good luck.

13. Easy Initiate Member

Thanks guys I bought the bulbs when I got the plants about a month ago. Can someone give me a link to a good t5 set up?

Also the plant in pic 4 I had in the substrate for all That time and it never even tried to root and the final plant I dab some buried and it just died where buried

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Stems should not be banded together. You should remove the bands. Then plant.

There are many options on eBay to choose from for lighting.

15. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

There's a number of good units out there and I don't think you'll ever get us all to agree on one unit. Get what works for you.

16. Easy Initiate Member

Cool thanks for the help guys. I need one with the ability to be screwed to the bottom of my wood top. I seen they are around $140 so ill have to wait a week or so. I separated the stems I hope that helps. I also ordered some fertilizer and a few pieces of drift wood from dr smith To try them. I tried years ago to get some from my local Beech and had alot problems with and from it. Got the black hair plague :banghead:

17. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

you could really build a bracket for almost any of them to mount to the underside so I wouldn't worry too much about that part.

18. Easy Initiate Member

Some thing is killing my plants all of them and I've noticed some black hair algae creeping in and if you look closely at the plants it looks as if they have some hair on them as well. The guppy grass is the worst but all seem to be infected. Is this possibly from the use of flourish? I used it for the first time last weekend

19. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Did you upgrade your light? BBA is caused by too little CO2 and too much light.

Any time there is an imbalance algae gets a foothold; and plants can begin to show signs of deficiency.

20. Easy Initiate Member

I did get a new light its a t5 but not ho