Plant growth

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by scarlett4410, Dec 31, 2012.

1. scarlett4410

scarlett4410Valued MemberMember

So im trying to keep my fish together and need to keep it densly planted but it always kill my plants but refuse to use fake so i have to keep replacing them.
    The lights not that good and its about 3WPG. I have a fine sand based with no fertaliser.
    I was going to buy a CO2 system but there expencive so i heard that i could make one so im gonna find some instructions on how to make one.
    What can i do to help my plants grow? I have java fern on bogwood and lose wich i do well with with a marimo/moss ball & some weed sort of plants with some others wich i actually do well with! I also have some java moss wich grows really well in my quarantine but doesnt in my puffers & ottos tank it seems to dissapear im not sure if most is hiding but somes on my bogwood.
    Anyway is there anything that i can do do help them grow and be greener? I was going to get some harigrass and see if i could make a nice carpet of it but im not sure how i would clean it or how the fish would find there food etc.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. Mer-max

Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

If i make a CO2 system will that help my plants? Im going to try and get some nutrient thingies.
    Whats root tabs?

4. Mer-max

They are little round tabs ( nutrients ) that you place in the soil around your plants.

I cant tell you what will or won't help your plants, but co2 has helped me a lot with alge control and my plants haven't complained so far either.

Enough to convince me to buy a real injected co2 system.

5. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

What exactly is your lighting? T8, T12, T5, CFL etc.? What's the color temperature? What size tank is this for?

6. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Lighting does seem to be an issue, also what plants are you trying to keep in the tank? Some plants are water column feeders while others are root based feeders. Those factors and light are the biggest when picking out plants and how to care for them.

7. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

2 x Val's
    1 x java fern
    1 x boogwood with java fern
    1x moss ball
    1 x weedie plant
    1x water sprite or something very simliar
    1x dont know the name of
    1x another plant i dont know the name of.

Do you want me to take a picture of them to show you or not bother? :)

8. Mer-max

What kinna lights and what size tank?

9. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

14 gallon & 18 Watts.

10. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

You have low lighting as it looks. With low light plant growth is slow.

11. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

i have 2 2 gallon tanks and in each i have java ferns with my betta fish. i paid $5 for one and have never given them any special treatment, no filter heater, special plant food, and everytime i clean it i will find dead leaves and then new java ferns sprouting, i now have 1 large and about 4 small ones starting, i dont see where your problem lies, java ferns are over easy to care for, my betta trims them himself actually and uses the leaves to bubble nest; i guess its all in the fish you have!

12. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

I have dwarf puffers & ottos , i was told my Puffers might eat my java moss.I Split it and put a tiny bit in my quarantine and most in my main tank and the one in the main tanks nearly all gone but in the quarantines thriving and has grown lots!
    I double up the lighting with a 12v LED light. Not very good but it helps , when the time comes to replace the light i might buy a new unit and a Bright T5 light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice