Plant getting brown stuff How do I get rid of it

• Thread starter A123
  • Start date

A123

Hi, I have a 70litre planted tank with different plant species including anubias, crypts, s repens and some others.

I have issue with some plants as after a while (from initially planted) the plant leaves become brownish (some sort of algea i dont know) so please help me as I want the plants to grow and look green healthy and lush as a result I have added co2 a month ago but to be honest I have not felt a big change the plants are growing the same way as prior to co2 addition. I also dose with some liquid ferts (tropica, Ada and jbl) not all at the same time. The substrate I have is the fluval stratum and the lighting is not great but built in tank light( superfish expert 70). Please guide and let me know what I can do better to make my plants better, I have attached pics of the plants currently looking. Also I do about a 30%-40% every week or every other week.
If you want anymore info please let me know and help me out.

Thanks

Attachments

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Looks like BBA to me. Do you dose Excel? That is supposed to help.

A123

StarGirl said:
Looks like BBA to me. Do you dose Excel? That is supposed to help.
Thanks for your reply, BBA as in black beard algea or is something else and I don't use excel but will sure look in to that. Also if it is black beard algea you are talking about I saw some pics online and the stuff in my tank doesn't look like BBA its not hairy or anything just something brown/black covering the leaves . Please recommend how to use Excel and how it works. Thanks

Tallen78

Have u checked
A123 said:
Hi, I have a 70litre planted tank with different plant species including anubias, crypts, s repens and some others.

I have issue with some plants as after a while (from initially planted) the plant leaves become brownish (some sort of algea i dont know) so please help me as I want the plants to grow and look green healthy and lush as a result I have added co2 a month ago but to be honest I have not felt a big change the plants are growing the same way as prior to co2 addition. I also dose with some liquid ferts (tropica, Ada and jbl) not all at the same time. The substrate I have is the fluval stratum and the lighting is not great but built in tank light( superfish expert 70). Please guide and let me know what I can do better to make my plants better, I have attached pics of the plants currently looking. Also I do about a 30%-40% every week or every other week.

Thanks
A123 said:

Thanks
Have u checked ur tds I had a bba attack in one of my tanks it ended up being due to a large amount of tds in the tank it was up around 400-430 I now keep it around 180-200 and no more bba

A123

Tallen78 said:
Have u checked

Have u checked ur tds I had a bba attack in one of my tanks it ended up being due to a large amount of tds in the tank it was up around 400-430 I now keep it around 180-200 and no more bba
Hi, I haven't checked the tds as I don't have the equipment to check for it, also have you checked the pictures I have attached I don't believe that it is bba as bba is kinda hairy looking but this is just like a coat of some brown stuff on the plant only the anubias has the black coating and it does come out when I spend time cleaning it with a toothbrush but doesn't go away 100% and comes back after a while.

Top Bottom