Plant for Betta tank

1. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I recently had to ditch the plant in the betta tank after finding out it was only a semi-aquatic plant and it started breaking down. Bluey loved swimming amongst the stems and occasionally perching on top of its leaves.
    I was wondering how something like a sword or wisteria would go in a betta tank?
    Also I noticed some algae starting to grow on the substrate. Would a betta attack a snail if it was placed in his tank? If not what type of snail would be good?
    It's a 30L tank, current water parameters
    PH 7.4
    Ammon - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 5
    Temp - 27 C

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. virusmk Well Known Member Member

3. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Depends on the betta. Mine is very peaceful and doesn't even attack shrimp; I've seen him flare once, and it was a very half-hearted attempt. He leaves his snails alone. Some bettas will not. I've seen that nerites come highly recommended for bettas, as they don't have the Very Tempting Antennae and Eye Stems that mysteries do. Mysteries will learn to keep their antennae in, but they can't really do much about a persistent betta that wants their eye stems.

My betta really liked the water wisteria I had in his tank. He sat on it more than he does the anubias nana. Both are good choices for low-lit tanks. He also liked weaving in and out of the stems, so maybe it'll be a good replacement :)

4. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys
    . Did your betta have any issues with being snagged on the wisteria or is it soft enough that if doesn't do any damage to its fins?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

As Viriam mentioned - depends on the betta. I have 1 male in each of my larger tanks & they are fine.

However - my boy I got earlier this year has been feisty from the beginning. He had been in his 10gal for several weeks & I decided to get a nerite - he did not seem to notice it the first week. I moved some rocks & wood around in his tank & after I was done he immediately began attacking the nerite. I watched him & he continued for a good bit of time. Then he left it alone & doesn't even go near it.

Water wisteria works in his tank too & he has 5 pygmy cories as tankmates. They are tiny & fast & he didn't mess with them except their initial introduction to the tank.

Enjoy Fishlore!

6. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I have water Wisteria but not in a Betta tank as it grows quite large in every direction and very quickly. Smaller anubias, crypts, and swords work well. Echinodorus horizontalis is a particularly nice little sword plant that contrasts well with cryptocoryne undulata both in terms of color and texture.

7. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

An amazon sword will probably grow too big. I agree with others that anubias will work well. You can also look into java moss, java ferns, and marimo moss balls. They are all low-light plants that generally thrive with little-no care.

8. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I have water wisteria in my betta tank. Rather than plant it, I float it. He LOVES it. And he's never ripped a fin on it that I know of, though he does have completely unrelated fin issues. I'm a big fan of floating plants for betta tanks. Since they are surface dwellers, he seems to rather enjoy moving through the wisteria. It has strong, curvy stems he likes to rest on and long roots as well.

9. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys, water wisteria it is then. If it grows to much I'll transfer some of it to the Goldie's tank.

Does it require any liquid nutrients?

10. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I'm not a plant expert, but I believe wisteria is one of the easier ones to take care of. I'd think a liquid fert like Flourish by SeaChem would be good enough. At least, it has been for mine.

11. renthus Well Known Member Member

Wisteria doesn't require any additional ferts. It'll grow like a weed regardless.

12. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Thanks again guys, appreciated :)