Plant For 5 Gallon?

1. Leo Thomsen

Leo Thomsen New Member Member

I'm gonna start a 5-gallon tank in a month or so and I want to use live plants.
    I'm looking for a plant that looks like a Vallisneria but grows to a max of 8 inches (20cm) and can go with a betta...
    It would be awesome if links could be provided for them :) thanks in advance

2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

You can actually grow Vals in there and just keep them trimmed (I have some in my 10 G), I like anubus and java fern for Bettas too.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Anubias, Java Fern, Crypts, and most types of broad leaf plants are great with bettas. I currently have jungle vals in my 5 gallon, but the plants keep growing, so I constantly have to move them.

4. OP
    OP
    Leo Thomsen

Are they difficult to keep? I am legit capable of killing cacti... Also couldn't trimming them often harm the plant, or are they slow growers?

5. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

They're like grass so I just cut mine from the top personally. They're super easy to grow in my experience.

6. OP
    OP
    Leo Thomsen

awesome, someone in my town sells them privately but I just didn't want to buy if I can't keep them alive haha

7. Will Boyer

Will Boyer New Member Member

8. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

You can use italian vals. They stay fairly small, really easy to grow. They are heavy root feeders so you’ll need to add a root tab or 2. Other easy plants would be like anubias, java fern, crypts, some swords etc. There are several easy to grow plants. You can buy them on ebay for pretty cheap as well, maybe a member here would even sell a few for a good price.

9. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Consider twisted val. Normally grows around 20cm high max.

10. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I have cryptocoryne spiralis. They grow longer than 8”, however, but they look nice and similar looking to vals.

11. OP
    OP
    Leo Thomsen

thanks for the replies everyone but I've decided on the vals :)