plant food tabs

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by michael68, Apr 10, 2010.

1. michael68Valued MemberMember

I just recently purchased plant food tabs 0-0-6 plus iron by Jungle on clearance at Petco.Has anyone used this product,and if so can i use it with flourish excel and comprehensive?I dose with both products on a regular basis and would also like to add the tabs.Nutter i think you might have answered this question for me already.

2. mathasWell Known MemberMember

I have not used them, but you can use them with Flourish Comprehensive and Excel. In fact, I would recommend doing so.

3. michael68Valued MemberMember

Does 6 tabs for heavely planted 20 gallon tank once a month sound right.I think thats what jungle recommends the directions are unclear.

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I havn't used them either but like Mathas I see no reason why you couldn't use them with the Flourish range & I think it would be a good thing to do.

The dosing could be about right but I tend to ignore the instructions. I usually just push tablets in around the base of plants I know need the extra nutrients. The frequency could be about right to. The API tabs I use from time to time need redosing every month, the Flourish tabs I also use are only every 3 months. Best to follow the frequency of dosing recommended but place them around the plants you think need them.

5. michael68Valued MemberMember

Will they bring any harm to the fish,I since stopped using carbon in my filter.Two hours after putting the tabs in my substrate i now have patches of bubbles all over the surfice of my water is this normal?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. NutterFishlore VIPMember

No the tablets shouldn't cause any harm to your fish. Carbon will have no effect on substrate ferts. Thier nutrients should stay in the substrate rather than being released into the water column. The bubbles are not normal with plant tabs. I don't know why you would have them. Perhaps you have released a gas pocket when you pushed the tablet into the substrate or maybe the tablets are very porous & have lots of air in them???

7. michael68Valued MemberMember

The tablets are soft and almost crumble in your hand.The pools of bubbles are forming from my airstone.They used to bubble up and disipate now they are forming in clusters,wierd huh

8. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Very unusual. Does the packet have the ingredients & quantites listed? Also is there an expiration date on the packet? Can you post those for me? Tablets are usually hard & don't dissolve easily.

9. michael68Valued MemberMember

Expiration date is11/14.soluble potash(k20) 6.0% calcium(ca) 5.5% magnesium(mg)0.7% 0.7% water soluble magnessium sulfur(s) 6.5% boron(b) 0.02% iron(fe) 1.0% 1.0% chelated iron manganese(mn) 0.2% 0.2% water soluble manganese sodium(na)2.0% Derived frompotassium chloride,potassium sulfate,calcium sulfate,magnesium sulfate,manganese sulfate,boric acid,sodium chloride and ferric EDTA.also contains nonplant food ingredients:0.5% humic acid derived from humus and natural clay.THis all doesnt sound to good to me.Maybe i should put the carbon back in the filter.

10. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Those are some very unusual numbers for aquatic plant tablets. 6.0% calcium is massive as is 6.5% boron. The iron seems very low at just 1%. The lack of nitrogen & phosphate seems odd to.

Theoretically though there is nothing there that is actually harmfull to your fish. At least not in those quantities. You should be able to leave them in there but keep a very close eye on your fish. If they start doing anything unusual, ie: flashing/scratching, increased gill rate or staying at the surface, then I would remove the tablets immediately, add carbon into the filter & perform a 50% water change.

11. michael68Valued MemberMember

What exactly is flashing?

12. mathasWell Known MemberMember

Flashing is a term used to describe a quick movement that a fish makes to rub itself against something (a rock, the substrate, etc.). This typically occurs when something is irritating the fish, such as parasites, bacterial infections, or even water chemistry changes.

13. michael68Valued MemberMember

All my fish are acting normal but the bubbles set my ocd in motion so i sucked out 5 gallons of water(which was yellow)and put the carbon back into the filter.I tried to pull out the tabs but couldnt find them.I think i will stick with the flourish liquid products.

14. michael68Valued MemberMember

I called jungle today on this issue and the rep told me the bubbles were caused by a chemical reaction with the tabs to the high levels of phosphates and protien in my tank.She told me to do a water change and vacume the gravel.I dont understand since i do a pretty good gravel vac once a week plus a 25% water change.She also said the foam like bubbles could be because of a dirty filter,but i think i may over clean my filter,so that doesnt make sense.I have been told by many on the forum not to do an aggressive gravel vac every week especially with a planted tank.I am for sure not overfeeding.Any ideas?

15. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I seriously doubt that it has anything at all to do with your filter. MAYBE phosphate levels could have an effect but I've never heard of it. High phosphate levels are usually caused by over feeding, decaying plant matter or high phosphate levels already present in tap water.

Make sure you are removing all dying/decaying plant matter every few days or at least every week. For over feeding, only feed as much as the fish can consume in 3mins with no leftovers. If you need to use pellets etc to target feed bottom feeders. Any excess food should be removed immediately. Algae tabs for Plecos are an exception to this rule but you need to be sure that the entire tablet/s is being consumed by the pleco. Tapwater you need to use a phosphate kit to test & there isn't much you can do about high phosphates in tep water except for either invest in an RO unit or use a phosphate removing media in your filter.

I don't think phosphate levels would have this sort of an effect myself but I could be wrong. Maybe buy a phosphate test kit & see what it says. They can be handy to have around anyway so you can make sure you have enough phosphates in the tank for the plants.

If the phosphates test normal then you know it's the tablets themselves & to buy a different brand next time. API are good for NPK + Iron, Flourish is good for Macro & Micro (total) root fertilisation. I use both.

16. michael68Valued MemberMember

I will try to find a phosphate test kit.I think the product is releasing some thing into the water column.I did an agressive substrate vacume and the bubbles seamed to have lessoned for now.Are you saying phosphates are good for the plants but maybe bad for the fish?The root tabs from jungle advertise NO PHOSPHATES!!

17. NutterFishlore VIPMember

The phosphate levels would have to be super high to have an effect on the fish. I've never heard of anyone having issues with fish health because of high phosphate levels. Your plants need some phosphates in the water but not too much. Just like all the oher nutrients a plant needs, you need to have enough without having too much. Having high phosphate levels also effects how accurately you can assess how much co2 is present if you use one of those KH/PH charts as the phosphates buffer the tank rather than carbonates.

18. michael68Valued MemberMember

Sorry Nutter but i am ignorant,but can you explain in more detail(if you have the time) your last sentence 0n your last post.Thanks Nutter.Iam a tad confused.

19. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

20. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Here's a link that helps explain the relationship between co2, KH, PH & phosphates:

It's fairly basic & in easy to understand language but will give you the basics of the relationship.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice