Plant ferts?

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all, I was just curious to see if anyone has experience with these two plant ferts:

API Leaf Zone or Jungle Labs Plant Food Tabs?

I'm trying to find Flourish Comprehensive but I don't think Petsmart has it (it isn't listed on their website) and I'm unsure if my LFS has it, didn't ask when I was in today but I didn't see it either. So just curious if anyone has any experience about these two products or any knowledge of them?

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the API one in my sisters tank. All the plants look good and are growing strong. Have not tried the Jungle Labs one but there might be reviews on google.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My only concern for the API one is that one person who reviewed it on Petsmart's website said that it can also increase algae growth, which I am trying to combat right now!

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have Inverts. you've got to go with the tabs.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm planning on getting RCS... But I've read lots of people use Flourish Comprehensive with inverts?

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ferts will NOT hurt inverts nor will they cause algae. Sorry I have not tried those particular brands though.
Algae is a problem when Co2, light and nutrient balance is not there. You can dose 5 times the amount on the bottle and it wont cause algae. Now increase the light or take vary the Co2 levels and then algae will show up.
Finding the balance is tricky.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gah that is what I'm fighting right now, the finding the magical balance! It's frustrating. Going to work on getting a more stable C02 set up by running 2 2L bottles instead of one, switching one out each week. And also cutting lights back, I was leaving them on way too long! I'm hoping this will take care of my algae problem... Sigh.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know the frustration. I have definately been there!@@!#$E
One thing to be careful of is doing to many changes at once. Whenever I make changes to my tank now I always change one thing every two weeks. Changing too much at once can make it hard to know what is working and what isnt. It usually takes two week to notice changes in the tank. Sometimes it feels like you are chasing your tail but you will find it!

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The only main change I am thinking of is switching out the C02 bottles once a week, which is what another member said he does with his 20 gallon. After I start that up, I hope to have found the fertilizer I am wanting, the Flourish Comprehensive. It must be around here somewhere! I'll call both Petsmart and my LFS tomorrow to see if they carry it. They should! Members from all over the world on here seem to have it!

Thanks for the encouragement!! It does feel a little defeating right now!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent advce above from Nate. I think you will find it was also Nate that recommended running 2 yeast generators, which is also excellent advice.

I've used the API Leaf Zone many moons ago & wasn't at all impressed with it myself. The results were not that great & it soon eats a hole in your budget. It's worth persisting to find the Flourish as the results should be better & it is easily the most economical commercial liquid fert. Try ordering it from Foster & Smith. I believe they have it & at a good price.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks again Nutter! And thanks Nate, too, it was I believe him that recommended the 2 yeast generators. Everyone is so helpful!

EDIT:
As a side note, Nutter, I just checked out Foster & Smith's website, and as far as I can tell, they don't ship outside the USA, and I'm in Canada! But it is cheap on there, under $6 (without shipping.. if only!)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads