Plant Fertilizer & Lighting

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

Do Plants require a weekly fertilizer to grow? I'm not sure, does it work? I think this was a topic a long time ago but I cant find it so yeah.... My plants aren't growing well probably also as I dont yet have a proper aquarium lighting but will be getting one in the next few weeks from work.

Should I get Fertilizer if so what type brand is trusted by you guys?
    Also what lighting strength etc. for low lighting do I need for my size tank. Will one globe suffice?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Plants do not require weekly fertilizers to grow. I do not normally fertilize my plants except some of my crypts and I use plant tabs for those. Your lighting is probably more important than the fertilizer since the fish usually provide enough fertilizer if you have low light plants. Determining how much light you have is usually measured by watts per gallon. If you have a 10 gallon tank and your light source is 15 watts, then you have 1.5 watts per gallon which is between low and medium lighting. Most of my plants are low light plants because I only have standard strip lighting on my tanks and they are all around 1 watt per gallon except for 1 tank. I have heard a lot of folks us the Seachem Flourish. Also keep in mind that ferts not only feed your plants, but they also feed algae. Too much fertilizing could cause an algae bloom in your tank. That's why I don't do it in my tanks. If I had more lighting I probably would. Hope this helps! ;)

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

Thanks Gunnie you've convinced me. I think I'm going to just research the lighting I want. I was thinking maybe 20 watt if they have a bulb like that. Probably just the one bulb, don't want it too bright, I hear catfish like dimmer lighting and I dont wan to disturb them

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

In my 30g. tank I have one 20W lightbulb. It seems to be working well for my plants. My plants are low-light and I've had them for months now. I do, however, add a liquid iron fertilizer every once in a while. I use Hagen Freshwater "Plant Gro" Fertilizer (Iron Enriched). I used more of the iron fertilizer when the substrate was new and therefore the plants had nothing to feed on. But after a while, when there gathers enough of sediment and waste in the gravel, the plants start feeding on that and you don't need a lot of fertilizing anymore.

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

Thanks Isabella maybe I'll go for a 15 watt I dont know yet I'll have a look tomorrow at work and some other places to see what they've got. Before I wasn't sure about the fertilizers but now thanks to you guys I probably wont buy any