Plant fert.

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by DrSahl, Aug 2, 2015.

1. DrSahl

DrSahlValued MemberMember

Hi all

I've just started a 50 Gallon tank with plants in it. I have used a product to make the cycle go faster.

My question is. since this is my first tank with plants in it. Do I need to use fertilizers right away ? I was told you should not do it if you added fish right away, but I wont be getting any fish the first 1.5 week atleast.. So should I give them fert or leave them be for a while ?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

What kind of plants do you have in the tank? Some plants are heavy root feeders while others are water column feeders

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

Echinodorus Palaefolius x2
    Vesicularia Dubyana x1
    Myriophyllum mattogrossense x2
    Lilaeopsis brasiliensis x3

The liquid fert I have gives co2 etc. But I think I heard that you should skip fert when you start the tank and wait a week or two (due to biological changes) but I am clueless, since it will be fishless the first 2 weeks

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well the echinodorus is a type of sword, root feeder I believe so you should get some root tabs. Not sure what the third one is. The lilaeopsis is a high light plant I think.

5. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

The lights is the standard lights of a juwel rio. I guess thats enough.
    But as I said should I use the ferts right away while the tank cycle without fish and when the fish comes (in 2 weeks?) I know I need root tabs (I will get some tomorrow for the swords if I need them right away) but the co2 /micro/micro all in one liquid should I also use that every day as adviced on it? again the whole planted tank is new to me.

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea you probably should since there are no fish wastes feeding the plants the needed nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates.

7. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

ok will these do fine ?  

And how to I remove the stuff that does not decompose ? "information about them under"

The capsules do not fully decompose and the small balls inside the capsules will remain in the substrate after all nutrients have been released. The balls are made of resin, which is biologically harmless.

That might be a pain right ? I should get something that fully decompose? I will start using the liquid every day as adviced (can I do it less often?) its like 4ml every day seems alot for the liquid one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice