Plant dwarf hair grass before adding water?

Amartin14655

Reaction score
Should I plant before or after I add water? I was thinking it might be easier to drain the tank to a level where the substrate is moist.
Thoughts?

Best Answer - View -Mak-'s answer
OP
Amartin14655

Amartin14655

Reaction score
Yeah. I’m doing regular hair grass too and I’m worried about them flopping everywhere and being aggravating. And if I get done and refill my tank and they all go floating away I’m gonna be so mad

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's standard aquascaping practice to plant any plant in an empty tank, with substrate dry or lightly wetted!

Fill the tank on a plastic bag, plate, or colander to avoid the force of the water displacing the newly planted plants :)

Betttaboi

Reaction score
If I may make a suggestion... when planting things like grasses or fine stemmed plants try using milk lids or other plastic lids. I use a cyclindrical coffee tin lid. I score a cross into it using a knife and then poke a few Dwarf hair grass strands through. Then plant this under The substrate and fill with water. Method works for dry or fully wet substrate and works well in sand aquariums.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Betttaboi said:
If I may make a suggestion... when planting things like grasses or fine stemmed plants try using milk lids or other plastic lids. I use a cyclindrical coffee tin lid. I score a cross into it using a knife and then poke a few Dwarf hair grass strands through. Then plant this under The substrate and fill with water. Method works for dry or fully wet substrate and works well in sand aquariums.
sounds cool, but i dont drink milk or coffee ><

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
From what I've been told dwarf hairgrass doesn't transition well from a dry start, so I've never attempted it this way.

New Threads