Plant/driftwood questions

Flyaway Soul

I'm looking to trade out my resin decor for more natural driftwood soon and had a million some questions about the best way to go about things, and also plants/mosses you recommend that are lower on the maintenance scale.

I'm asking for a roughly 75gal hex tank that is ~30in deep. I have internal growing lights that run the height of the aquarium on two sides to allow light to penetrate to the substrate and 3-3.5in of sand substrate depending on the area. Tank is cycled, about a year old, and the grow lights are on adjustable timers. I have a variety of plants growing in the tank at present.

Current stock is:
2x juvenile angels
4x zebra danios (intend to add 2-3 more)
3x albino cories (intend to add 3-4 more)
1x candy stripe Pleco

Plants:
Water wisteria, floating and rooted
Anubias
Amazon sword (I think. It was a gift)
Two small mystery plants

First question: Where do you recommend buying driftwood? I would like a type like spider wood or, ideally, mangrove so that there would be less tannins to discolor my water, but I'm not against minor discoloration as long as it isn't permanent. I understand that there benefits to tannin content, but I'm not a huge fan of how it looks. I worry about buying driftwood on Amazon or foraging my own because I don't want to get a piece that is harmful to my fish.

Second question: What do you use/recommend to secure plants to your driftwood until they latch on and how long does it normally take?

Third question: I am very interested in growing moss in my tank. I love the look and I think my cories would appreciate it. What do you recommend for starting out? I've had trouble keeping moss balls in the past and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. They just wilt and fall apart after a few weeks.

Last question: I have seen a lot of threads about growing mangroves in fish tanks. I understand my tank is very tall and the leaves must be exposed, but would it be possible to grow one in this tank or would it be more trouble than it's worth?

Thank you so much for any and all recommendations. I want to finish settling my tank decor before I stock further now that I've found a reliable LFS with healthy fish to add to my tank. Picture I took a while back included. The wisteria needs a good trim now, but I try not to trim my plants as much while I'm stocking.
Forgot to add, there is no added CO2 in this tank.

Attachments

• PXL_20220410_212251754.jpg
    PXL_20220410_212251754.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 7

A201

Manzanita branches make great aquarium driftwood & doesn't leach dark tannins. It's readily available on line.
Java moss grows fast, looks good attached to wood. I secured Java Moss to branches by stuffing bits of it into gaps & holes in the wood, or wrapping it around branches. You can tie most plants down with fishing line, or use a rubber band.
Java Moss is very hardy. Even I couldn't kill it. Lol.

alauruin

I have had good luck with purchasing driftwood from AquaBid.com. I like that you know exactly which piece you're bidding on/purchasing, rather than buying a generic piece off a larger web site.

I use gel superglue to attach plants to driftwood. I find it much easier than fishing line or string, and it's less visible in the tank.

I second the recommendation for java moss. It grows so well, it took over my 10g tank and I ended up ripping out 2 quart sized baggies full of it. Insane stuff.

Flyaway Soul

I have had good luck with purchasing driftwood from AquaBid.com.
I will absolutely check that out. Because I'm planting and scaping a particularly tall tank, I want something that basically looks like a stump.
I second the recommendation for java moss. It grows so well, it took over my 10g tank and I ended up ripping out 2 quart sized baggies full of it. Insane stuff.
I've since added Java moss and attached my anubias to some driftwood I picked up for my pleco (which might be a clown pleco instead of a candy stripe ).

I also really, really want to add dwarf baby tears to the tank as a carpet, but I've read they can be very demanding. I'm ordering better lights meant for growing plants and trying to learn about true C02 setups, but in the mean time does the liquid C02 supplement like this one actually work or is is just a money sink?

alauruin

I'm ordering better lights meant for growing plants and trying to learn about true C02 setups, but in the mean time does the liquid C02 supplement like this one actually work or is is just a money sink?

Money sink. It's good for killing algae, but that's about it.

Flyaway Soul

Money sink. It's good for killing algae, but that's about it.
I figured, but wanted to check anyway. Last question, does anyone have any tips on getting started with C02 in a larger tank? Recommended setups or threads that could get me started would be great.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishnturtleguy933
Replies
Views
V1K
Replies
Views
Tup
Replies
Views