Plant Diseases

Loachland

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, everybody! So I posted a little while ago about my water wisteria shedding its leaves at an alarming rate. They kept turning a translucent blackish-brown in places and then breaking off. I hypothesized at the time that it had caught some sort of disease from my late Anubias, which went in a similar way after a brown slimy patch developed over its rhizome, turning the plant to nothing but fibers. At first, I assumed it was the dreaded “Anubias disease”, and as such, I hoped it would be self-contained.

Now I am almost certain the two ailments are the same. The water wisteria is fraying away and turning that slimy translucent brown at the ends of its roots. I don’t know if there’s a way to save it, and I’m really sad about the way it’s going, but I’m also worried this disease (which appears to be fungal or maybe protozoal in nature) could spread to my Java fern or even my fish. I don’t have any clue what it is, though, and as such I don’t know how to treat it, or how I can bring any plants into the tank if they’re just going to melt like this.

In searching for answers to my problem, I’ve found there’s almost no resources on aquarium plant disease, which is kind of invalidating: it clearly can and does occur. So my question for all of you is: what diseases have you seen in your plants? Were any of them similar to mine? Did you successfully treat them?

Thank you!

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This might not be relevant to your situation, but I lost half a tankful of "indestructible" anubias to root melt- the rhizome turned to black mush. After much hair-pulling I tried hardening my very soft tap water using a remineraliser meant for RO water, and my plants stopped dying.

Everyone says that plants prefer soft water but it seems mine was entirely too soft. I ended up having to guess at the solution and found it almost by accident after people elsewhere online mocking me for managing to kill the unkillable anubias- but I'm convinced that a lot of plant diseases have simple cures, it's just that most people give up when they can't find an easy solution.

Loachland

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
“Black mush” seems exactly like my problem. My water’s also soft, so I’m trying to up the hardness and fertilize a bit more, and I’ll see if that will help.

I agree that there seems to be less of an impetus to save plants, and therefore people pay less attention to them. I’m still surprised there’s no resources on plant disease out there!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom