Plant - Disease or Dieing?

1. AlphaOmega Initiate Member

I have had these 2 plants in my tank for 3/4 weeks now, and recently they have been kind of... "melting" away and covered in "rust"y type stuff... Don't have a clue what kind of plant they are, sorry guys! if anyone else knows about this, please tell me!!!

2. fletch Member Member

Sometimes plants get root rot and start to go slimey and dissolve. take the plant out because you cant save it and get a new one. It happens every now and then

3. onelovie Member Member

Do you have the right type of lighting for your plants? I added some live plants to my tank before I made sure that I had powerful enough lights. (I didn't and the plants died.) I changed my bulbs to flourescent bulbs made specifically for live plants - and I make sure to leave the lights on for 12 hours every day. Plus I add a fertilizer every week that I got at the pet store. Happily, after I lost the first couple of plants, my new plants have been doing great. One has almost grown to the top of my 55 gallon tank!!!

4. fletch Member Member

Thats a very good point! they do need loads of light. and dont just put horse manure in your tank cuz the fishies wont appreciate it very much! ;D I never knew you could get tank fertiliser

5. onelovie Member Member

I first tried horse manure but my fish kept dying. ??? (just kidding) The solution I use is called Flourish. According to the bottle, it has micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients like calcium, magnesium, iron and other 'important' elements. And, it is completely safe for fish. I'm sure there are others out there, this is just what my local pet store recommended to me.