Plant Dips?

Revterry
I am getting java moss on wood but I don't want snails. I don't want a lecture on snails, just a good dip that is least likely to kill the moss.

Thank you.
I'm thinking alum or peroxide.

Miaw
You can dip an assassin snail, probably about 80% chance the moss will survive.

Revterry
What? Assassin snail?

sloughdog
Salt bath (using non-iodized salt) has worked for me.
It’s 1 cup salt to 1 gallon of water or 1/2 cup water to 1/2 gallon water or so on... make sure the salt is dissolved.
Dip for 15-20 seconds then remove and rinse with dechlorinated water.

Revterry
Ok salt dip will work with pretty much everything right? Plant wise.

Thank you.

Miaw
Dipping plants in salt water will kill all snails?

Oh of course. My nan used to salt slugs in the garden, I guess snails are a bit similar!

Revterry
Yeah my understanding is they are basically the same. (Just aquatic)

sloughdog
Yes indeed...
I actually experimented with a batch of plants a few months ago I bought online. Some were going into my 20 gal long where I didn’t want snails and the others were going into my pea puffer tank. I used a salt bath on the plants for the 20 and no bath for the puffer tank. No snails to date in my 20 gal...plenty of snails for my puffer. All plants are thriving.

Revterry
Ok cool. Only 20 or so seconds works? I'm amazed thank you

JAMarlow
I've done the 3% hydrogen peroxide dip on mosses before. The mosses survived... but so did a handful of bladder snail eggs! They are tough little buggers.

Revterry
Yeah I think those are what's on this plant I'm getting.

SFGiantsGuy
I am getting java moss on wood but I don't want snails. I don't want a lecture on snails, just a good dip that is least likely to kill the moss.

Thank you.
I'm thinking alum or peroxide.

As Epsom salt is to people, "aquarium" salt is for anti-snail eradications on such a hardy plant, that WILL survive for darn sure. Point is, if I were you, I'd use aquarium salt.

Revterry
Ok exactly what I was planning. I'm curious would rock salt work? Just wondering not using it.

SFGiantsGuy
Perhaps aquarium salt would be the safer bet. Although in general, salt IS salt mostly, but yeah... I'd advise aquarium salt if and when available. And just to be even MORE safe, perhaps research rock salt's chemical applications and info. before you decide on that first and foremost.

Revterry
I wasn't going to try rock salt was just curious.
I think aquarium salt is the way to go, trying it in a few days first time.

SFGiantsGuy
Indeed. Historically speaking, salt was used primarily as a preservative, (still is, actually) and not so much as a disinfectant. Nowadays we have mediums such as hydogen peroxide regimens etc. Hope things work out for you sir.

Revterry
Thank you. You aswell.

Top Bottom