Plant Diary - Sicce Co2 Life 2, Finnex Planted 24/7 Se+, Thrive

Natalya

I want to follow my plants in this thread to see if I can improve them. I have a 37g, into which I put most of the plants I recently received from three people on this forum and from Liquid Creations. I am planning to distribute them between my 20g, when I get a better light for it, and 55g, which is still empty. I have very crappy stock lights at the moment; i've been dosing Flourish complete and Excel at half-strength. Substrate is black blasting sand with Seachem Flourish root tabs.
Today I received my Finnex Planted 24/7 SE+ lights and will put them in in the evening. Consider this time 0.
I will receive Thrive in a couple of days, and Sicce CO2 Life 2 system a couple of days later. Sicce CO2 system is a system that completely fits into the tank, and uses electrolysis to make CO2. I chose it to avoid the temptation that any other type of CO2 system would provide to my toddler, and I hope to report on if it works or no.

My tank presently

tanksm.jpg
It got that wild grass growing everywhere look I kind of like it though

20171006_091335.jpg
dwarf sagittaria (Jocelyn Adelman) -does not look all that hot, possibly from transplanting or from my lighting
Alternanthera ReneckiI MinI (liquid creations)
Bacopa Sp. Colorata (liquid creations) -lost all the color already
Anacharis, Java moss (SsallImsayin)

20171006_091341.jpg
Amazon sword (Jocelyn Adelman)
Echindorus Vesuvius (liquid creations)

20171006_091429.jpg
Java ferns. Something is ailing the one on the top, but new leaves seem not so full of holes
Some kind of Valisneria. A bit under the weather.

20171006_091455.jpg
Myriophyllum Aquaticum 'Red Stem' (liquid creations)- I really really like this plants! Hope I do not kill it!
Water sprite (Jocelyn Adelman)

20171006_091503.jpg
Pogostemon Quadrifolius (liguid creations)

20171006_091517.jpg
I guess this is Ludwigia x Lacustris (liquid creations)

20171006_091551.jpg
Alternanthera ReineckiI Variegated (liquid creations)
Jocelyn Adelman already warned me that this plant is not for beginners; I can testify that it is not for people with weak nerves as well. This plant feels like a helium balloon. It had long roots when arrived, so I managed to plant it in the substrate, but it snapped its roots off and was floating the next day. I tried to cover it with a bunch of gravel; it worked itself out over night. Now I am just letting it float.

20171006_091602.jpg
A bunch of floating plants. Frog bit (SsallImsayin) got decimated since I put it in! I cannot grow frogbit!

20171006_091412.jpg
more floating - Hornwort (jocelyn Adelman, Anacharis, pennywort (?) (SsallImsayin) -the last one not looking so hot.
Ok that's most of them.
Will see what happens

20171006_091420.jpg
Does anybody know what it is? I planted it in the substrate, but it did not like it. It grew very long and the stem rotted above the substrate to release the plant. Now it is just floating.

20171006_100917.jpg
There is also water wisteria (James17) which is yellowing a bit
This is my 20g. Even wisteria is dying! I really need to upgrade the lights!

20171006_091651.jpg

Jocelyn Adelman

Tank is looking great, looking forward to hearing about the sicce co2....

Some melt from shipping, tank adjustment, and then replant is normal... most of the plants that are having issues are pretty tough and should bounce back quickly with good ferts and good lighting.

No idea for the ID... can you post a wider shot?

Natalya

Tank is looking great, looking forward to hearing about the sicce co2....

Some melt from shipping, tank adjustment, and then replant is normal... most of the plants that are having issues are pretty tough and should bounce back quickly with good ferts and good lighting.

No idea for the ID... can you post a wider shot?
I pulled it out...I did not expect it grew to be THAT long!

20171008_171505.jpg

20171008_171156.jpg
20171008_171211.jpg so because my son was very eager to "help" me, I managed to install the light only now. Its about 6pm, so it is programmed to go red I guess...my swordtail look super saturated though in this light.
I am using the 24/7 setting, without any adjustments so far. I also put the light above the glass cover.
Thrive has come yesterday, I figure I will start using it a couple of days after new light...just guessing here.

Attachments

• 20171008_171505.jpg
    20171008_171505.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 95

Natalya

Half a dose of thrive today in 37g and 20g

Natalya

again half a dose of thrive in 20 gallon and 37g
Sicce co2 system arrived, and it is smaller and lighter than I expected, which is good if it works. I am afraid to install it though before I have my drop checker...I ordered that on ebay, so it can take any amount of time to come from China...

Natalya

20171017_154407.jpg
20171017_154342.jpg
20171017_154302.jpg
20171017_154240.jpg Progress so far. On the whole, I think plants are doing not bad, nothing is dying. Val is much healthier. Frogbit died off to only a few plants, but these seem finally to be stabilizing. Myriofillium has grown like crazy, I am not sure for good reasons, since it's getting a bit anemic looking. Does it need more light? Not a lot of red, but not bad

20171017_170422.jpg
Today I trimmed my wisteria in 20 gallon and seeing how it was so spindly and not doing well at all, I broke down and ordered a chihiros light.. I really need to change substrate as well, it is a very thin layer of gravel, and trying to anchor anything in it is a joke. Not to mention that my platies constantly dig out root tabs and eat them! I don't know if they gonna poison themselves eventually.
This was my first tank when I did not have a clue yet...it all started with 3 platies, and now it is completely overrun by several generations of them! I really need to start another 20 gallon and separate males and females

20171017_180335.jpg
20171017_180311.jpg
Bought some cool floating plants:salvinia cucculata (arrived a bit squashed) and salvinia natans

Jocelyn Adelman

Those are gorgeous! You will love the chihiros... depending on the tank/co2 I use anywhere from the third to seventh setting (4th is a good place to start).
Adding more gravel to deepen the bed will help with uprooting.

Don't think the drop checker will register for the sicce system... not producing a co2 gas, just carbon through (electrolysis???)

Natalya

Those are gorgeous! You will love the chihiros... depending on the tank/co2 I use anywhere from the third to seventh setting (4th is a good place to start).
Adding more gravel to deepen the bed will help with uprooting.

Don't think the drop checker will register for the sicce system... not producing a co2 gas, just carbon through (electrolysis???)
I ma not sure, the manual to Sicce says it does produce CO2 gas...will see, I guess

Natalya

20171105_123840.jpg The chirihos light arrived! I put it on my 20 gallon on a 4th setting, like @jocelyn_adelman recommended, and boy is it bright! I guess I have to keep it on for much less time? It appears much brighter even than finnex 24/7
The co2 drop checker still did not arrive, I am losing my patience

Jocelyn Adelman

No co2 yet???? Been curious to if it works well...
Are you still totally in love with the chihiros???? It's an amazing light!

Natalya

No co2 yet???? Been curious to if it works well...
Are you still totally in love with the chihiros???? It's an amazing light!
Chihiros looks great, I'm afraid though I will have algae problems.. I put it on the 4th setting and onto 6hrs per day so far. It is also obvious now that I need MORE plants for my fish to hide or is it just a pretext to go shopping for plants
I know, I'm losing my patience myself. I wanted to put that drop checker first so as to be more "scientific" and be able to report more objectively if it works well..I guess I'll just buy one on Amazon or something, it is taking forever to arrive

Natalya

20171109_190447.jpg It arroved! No instructions... I hope I attached it correctly. Will let it equilibrate until tomorrow, take a picture and start co2 system!

Jocelyn Adelman

Lol after all this I hope it changes color for you... again as I mentioned earlier pretty sure the unit doesn't produce the same co2 as pressurized... but again, after all that waiting fingers crossed it changes!!!

Keep the light settings there, don't raise them... if you have algae already you can cut back to five hrs...

Can you post a tank shot?

Natalya

Lol after all this I hope it changes color for you... again as I mentioned earlier pretty sure the unit doesn't produce the same co2 as pressurized... but again, after all that waiting fingers crossed it changes!!!

Keep the light settings there, don't raise them... if you have algae already you can cut back to five hrs...

Can you post a tank shot?
20g with chirihos? Its above. I don't have any algae at this time

Jocelyn Adelman

Chihiros looks great, I'm afraid though I will have algae problems.. I put it on the 4th setting and onto 6hrs per day so far. It is also obvious now that I need MORE plants for my fish to hide or is it just a pretext to go shopping for plants
I know, I'm losing my patience myself. I wanted to put that drop checker first so as to be more "scientific" and be able to report more objectively if it works well..I guess I'll just buy one on Amazon or something, it is taking forever to arrive

Lol sorry, totally misread thinking you have algae problems...

Point being then, just from the co2 don't go changing the lighting around for the next two weeks, after that you can decide if you want to raise up the intensity or the photoperiod first... personally I would do intensity, likely 4-5th setting will be fine with the addition of co2, and then increase the photoperiod (30min every other week)

Natalya

20171110_135059.jpg
20171110_135045.jpg Here is the drop checker...now installing the co2! Might not register but at least I feel it's as scientific as I could make it lol

20171110_135120.jpg I do not know if the growth spurt of my myriophillum aquarium is because it's doing well, or because it has insufficient light and trys to get some. It is kind of anemic-looking at the bottom. Right now I'm on the built in 24/7 cycle, but I might look into extending it (finnex planted + 24/7 se)

Attachments

• 20171110_135120.jpg
    20171110_135120.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 68

Natalya

well I had sicco on minimum setting for a day, then turned it up 1 step for a day (that is how they recommend doing it), then my patience expired and I turned it on 3/4 up. In the instructions, they do recommend monitoring via drop checker, so will see

20171112_233203.jpg I noticed plants close to sicco started getting covered in tiny bubbles. Good sign?

Jocelyn Adelman

Great sign!!!

FYI I run my 24/7 on sunny, not cycle....

Natalya

So it's been few days and the color of the drop checker is as blue as it ever was....epic fail?

Natalya

Here is a communication from Sicce from somebody with an English or American name, but remarkably oblivious to an understandable grammar:

The Unit is designed to put a constant supply of Co2 and carbonic acid in the water and we increase plant growth. It does not put out enough Co2 to read all the time.
Drop checkers are not as accurate as other means of measurement
Are testing showed an increased in growth and reduction of algae.

Jocelyn Adelman

I will look for the description about it that I read some time ago... it’s goes over it in detail, again, seems to work, but seems that it adds carbon, not carbon dioxide...
(Lol, see... didn’t have to wait for the drop checker!)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AngelTheGypsy
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views
Gem
  • Question
Replies