Plant Deficiency help

Cody

Hello All

I have been dealing with this for a few months now and I notice it primarily with my Jungle Val. I have been seeing these hole form where it appears the leaf is melting.

This all started after I upgraded my light from the Fluval Aquasky to the Plant 3.0 so I thought it made sense to see a deficiency after the light upgrade as I tried to dial the light in. It has gotten better after I dialed the intensity down with max at 70% for 3 hours. Total phot period 12 hours with the time leading and trialing that period as a ramp up/down. For the first month I had it at 100% during the 3 hour period and by October I really started to see this become prevalent and I have been dialing it in ever since. And it’s manageable now but I figured I would see if I could get more input.

My nitrates ride 10-30ppm
No co2
Gh 2-3 drops
Kh 2-3 drops
50% wc weekly
I dose liquid ferts per instructions for low tech and I have tried upping slightly too but not much luck. I rotate between Thrive C, Easy Green and UNS. I do this as they all have slightly different makeup and I figure it may help make things more balanced. Mostly because I like to try different products- never noticed much difference in anything.

Here is an example of what starts to happen. Typically in the upper portion of the Val which will reach the ceiling if I don’t trim, so it is growing well
6A513556-3616-47BC-979C-7CA02F865289.jpeg

Mudminnow

It sounds to me you are doing everything right.

I have seen vals do the same thing in my tanks and in other peoples' tanks too. Furthermore, it happens after the plants were growing strong for some time and all the other plants in the aquarium continue to thrive. I don't know why this is.

I used to manage a section of river in Florida where lots of vals grew. They never died back as a whole, but they constantly sent dying leaves floating down the river. Perhaps shedding old leaves to make room for new ones or old plants dying to make room for new ones is just part of their life cycle.

Upvote 0

Cody

It sounds to me you are doing everything right.

I have seen vals do the same thing in my tanks and in other peoples' tanks too. Furthermore, it happens after the plants were growing strong for some time and all the other plants in the aquarium continue to thrive. I don't know why this is.

I used to manage a section of river in Florida where lots of vals grew. They never died back as a whole, but they constantly sent dying leaves floating down the river. Perhaps shedding old leaves to make room for new ones or old plants dying to make room for new ones is just part of their life cycle.

Not a bad theory as I will have a leaf green, healthy and very long and the start to melt away. But it’s never the whole plant but various leaves while the others will still very healthy looking

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Also, I just noticed in your picture that it looks like you have trimmed the leaves that are dying back. And, although vals look like grass, they grow from the tip. As a result, the leaves tend to die back eventually after they are trimmed.

Upvote 0

Cody

I have never heard that before. That could potentially be the issue to and that may explain why I’m not seeing issues with other plants.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I have never heard that before. That could potentially be the issue to and that may explain why I’m not seeing issues with other plants.
Well, I may have spoken too soon. I should have said, I have observed trimmed vallisneria leaves typically stop growing and eventually die. I should not have jumped to the conclusion that meant they grew from the tip. I did some reading on this, and from the few papers I could find, vallisnerias actually do grow from a basal meristem....

Nevertheless, your trimming of the leaves may still be leading to the die back you are seeing.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Feusagit
  • Question
120 Gallon Tank Low Tech plant Deficiencies
Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
Replies