Plant Deficiency Diagnosis ?? 29 Gallon Tank 

T'sTropicalTanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have an amazon sword with roughly 7 leaves. Each week a new leaf will emerge from the center.
Once that leaf grows, an older leaf will turn yellow/clear. I am trying to get the sword thick and bushy with leaves but it can’t exceed 7 leaves without melting.

Tank is a 29 gallon with standard t8 tube, I dose flourish comp once a week, flourish iron and flourish potassium every other day of the week

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Flourish comp is OK in Iron (and other micronutrients) but not the N-P-K. Since you dose K, that leaves N and P in question. Both N and P are "mobile nutrients", meaning that if they are not available from outside, the plant will draw them from older leaves and still be able to put on new leaves. Once a week? That's good...

I bet your substrate is not soil, dirt or anything nutritious for swords therefore the plant will take nutrients from the old leaves to put on new ones. Another good indication as of where your sword is heading is the size of the fully grown newer leaves...is you plant putting on progressively smaller leaves or larger ones? I know it keeps the number 7.

T'sTropicalTanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
aniroc said:
Flourish comp is OK in Iron (and other micronutrients) but not the N-P-K. Since you dose K, that leaves N and P in question. Both N and P are "mobile nutrients", meaning that if they are not available from outside, the plant will draw them from older leaves and still be able to put on new leaves. Once a week? That's good...

I bet your substrate is not soil, dirt or anything nutritious for swords therefore the plant will take nutrients from the old leaves to put on new ones. Another good indication as of where your sword is heading is the size of the fully grown newer leaves...is you plant putting on progressively smaller leaves or larger ones? I know it keeps the number 7.
The leaves grow to a normal size before dying, no change in maximum growth size, I figured the N and P would sustain if I just fed fish frequently and the N and P would be derived from fish food / waste. I use regular black pet store sand and capped with pea gravel I add flourish root tabs every 2 months

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom