Plant confusion

Jerriel

So in relativly new to the planted tank thing, just got some java fern because I heard its begginer friendly, but I already see brown lines forming, I heard you can super glue them to rock or driftwood but now im confused because after I glue it, what happends to the roots ? Do I put them in my substrate ? Do I let them hang ? Or do I cut them ? I also got Bacopa Carolina because I heard it could grow in almost any conditon including floating so I thought it would be ok to plant in my substrate but now some people are telling me I need root tabs, im very confused by all this and need help finding the right direction.

jkkgron2

It may be melting. Is the rhizome buried in the substrate? Root tabs might not be needed but I highly recommend getting a liquid fertilizer. I use thriveC.

Jerriel

jkkgron2 said:
It may be melting. Is the rhizome buried in the substrate? Root tabs might not be needed but I highly recommend getting a liquid fertilizer. I use thriveC.
I have a liquid fertilizer, the rhizome may hsve been buried before but right now ot free floating. I guess that means I dont have to worry about burying it when gluing it ? What do I do about the long roots and does it still grow normaly when glued ?

Pfrozen

dont bury the rhizome but gluing it is okay because its just a tiny dab in one spot. dont drown the whole rhizome in glue though lol. the roots are supposed to be long theyll grow down to anchor on whatevers below them

Cody

Jerriel said:
So in relativly new to the planted tank thing, just got some java fern because I heard its begginer friendly, but I already see brown lines forming, I heard you can super glue them to rock or driftwood but now im confused because after I glue it, what happends to the roots ? Do I put them in my substrate ? Do I let them hang ? Or do I cut them ? I also got Bacopa Carolina because I heard it could grow in almost any conditon including floating so I thought it would be ok to plant in my substrate but now some people are telling me I need root tabs, im very confused by all this and need help finding the right direction.
The roots can be trimmed and left to to flow freely. You can also tie them with fishing line or sewing thread too if you want the option to move it in the future.

the root tab vs liquid fertilizer can be confusing. There are tons of people on here that only use liquid ferts with great results, me included. I don’t notice in some forums or Facebook groups some people insist that you need them but plenty of people can show you otherwise!

Top Bottom