Plant care guides?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I'm having a hard time finding some plant care guides. Even when just looking for specific plants I find allot of the basic info sites but not so much detailed instructions on how to care for the individual aquatic plants (things like pruning/cutting, how to plant, things like that are specific to that plant) does a site exist that has aquarium plant detailed care? I'll go back to looking but was wondering if anyone already knows of one. Thanks for reading!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I only know of general profile sites.

Or you should be able to do a google search for "(plant name) info". EG: Radican Sword info. If that still doesn't help you, give me the names of the plants & the information you want & I'll give you as much of the info as I can myself.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Along with Nutter's links, I like this one:

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, It would be a great idea for someone to make a plant profiles site detailed like the many fish profiles. ;D

Any who I was trying to find out info on the wisteria right now. I have a bunch of them and I know they have to 'transition' I guess you would say. I was just trying to find out more info on that and if I planted them right, when or if too prune when they do grow, and the rate of growth, what happens after I plant it (new to plants so prob kinda silly questions newb questions)

I was at a pet store today and they had some wisteria that had leaves just like mine and then on the same plant some where like the skinny ones I found when I googled it (I guess it was losing its leaves and getting the new underwater ones). The pet store worker said they were a plant that grows up then falls apart so if they grow big they will fall apart and are not a good permanent plant..so right now I was just trying to find some info on all that.

Iv had some good luck finding some care info for other plants but am still looking for this one. I'm sure there has to be one, I'm prob just haven't used the right search words yet.

*Thanks for all the links, I will bookmark them and keep looking.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Lucy. I was looking for that link in my book but I couldn't find it. x

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water Wisteria will grow perfectly well when kept full emersed & will not die off if cared for properly. They get to looking like a small fern after awhile with several stems spreading out from the central base. As the emmersed leaves die or fall off, just remove them, new growth will replace it over time. Growth is slow to very rapid depending on the exact conditions it is kept under. The amount of light, nutrients & co2 will determine the growth rate & temperature will determine the final shape of the leaves. You can cut the top section of each stem off the plant when it reaches the height that you want it to. If not pruned it can easily reach the top of a 2ft tall tank. Propogation is via stem cuttings or plantlets that form on the leaves & ca be gently removed & replanted as a new plant. These things really like iron & plenty of nitrogen so I like to use API rot tabs for feeding. All up a very easy plant to grow & care for that can thrive in a wide range of conditions & light levels.

Here's a link to some basic care info:

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
FLGirl said:
It would be a great idea for someone to make a plant profiles site detailed like the many fish profiles. ;D
I could easily put the site together; however, I do not have the knowledge or expertise to begin to compile the content.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cool and thank you. I will look into the API root tabs as well!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
catsma_97504 said:
I could easily put the site together; however, I do not have the knowledge or expertise to begin to compile the content.
I'm the opposite. I've got alot of the knowledge needed on the plants, but not a clue how to build a website. (or the time to dedicate myself to such a large project)

Maybe one day I'll get around to making up a fairly comprehensive guide & submit it to Fishlore to do what they want with. Maybe... sometime in the very distant future.....

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nutter said:
Maybe one day I'll get around to making up a fairly comprehensive guide & submit it to Fishlore to do what they want with. Maybe... sometime in the very distant future.....
Start small with a couple of the most popular plants asked about on the forum.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That would be cool, How do the liquid ferts work? I mean can they hurt fish or anything, What would be a good one to use? Somehow it seems easier than many tabs but IDK the benefits or what works what doesn't....Any opinions?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Liquid ferts stay in the water column & are absorbed by the plants through the stems & leaves. If you have a substrate like Eco-Complete or Flourite that actually absorbs nutrients, then some of the nutrients added from liquid ferts will be absorbed by the substrate to be availabe to the plants roots. Root tabs are pushed into the substrate near the plants roots supplying nutrients directly to the root system. Which one is better to use really depends on the type of plant. Heavy root feeders like Swords & many stem plants, do best with substrate tablets. Attached plants or foliar feeding plants, (plants that feed predominantly through the leaves) do better when liquid ferts are used. In most tanks it is often better to use both liquid & substrate ferts as usually people have a combination of both types of plants.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads