Plant Bubbles

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Manoj Arora, Apr 8, 2017.

1. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

I have had a plant called vallisneria spiralis in my tank for about two weeks now and last week I noticed some tiny bubbles rising out from the plant. I did a 100% water change to male sure there is no problem but the plant is still releasing those bubbles. I also have other kinds of plants in my tank but none of them release these sorts of bubbles.
    Is there some problem or is it natural..

2. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

There's a name for it it's called pearling. Or in this instance because you did a water change some will refer to it as false pearling.

The plants are releasing extra oxygen.

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

It's a good thing actually - it means the plant is photosynthesizing at a high rate. The bubbles are oxygen, the product of photosynthesis.

4. OP
    OP
    M

Ok but you know it's strange how the distance between each pearl produced is exactly the same... This is the first time I've seen something like that. Thanks for your reply

5. Bettanewb

I'm the case of a water change its caused by excess amounts of gases in the new water it really has nothing to with the plant photosynthesis.

Its caused by off gasing

Trust me I got excited the first time I saw my plants pearl did a little research and realized that it was false pearling due to a water change

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

True, could be false pearling, but OP did you say that you noticed the bubbles before the water change?

7. Bettanewb

Good catch may be I misunderstood:)

8. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I love watching my plants pearl, the exact same size, the exact same distance, the exact same trail going up... fascinating, I could watch it all day :)

9. Fishboy321

Fishboy321 Valued Member Member

Some people pay hundreds of dollars to get their plants to do that

10. OP
    OP
    M

So should I conclude that my plant will be able to make it? Because along with pearling the leaves are also rotting...

11. Fishboy321

Fishboy321 Valued Member Member

?, melting back mabey?

12. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Pearling and rotting don't usually go hand in hand. My jungle Val has bubbled from where I cut it back, almost like an open wound...
    vals do tend to melt when first added to a tank until they adjust...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice