Plant Baby Questions

Wintermagic

1557252571848733115093.jpg water sprite appears to have a lot of roots growing about halfway up the plant. Do I just cut the main stem below the new roots and plant them? Or are these plantlets that should be removed leaving main stem alone?

1557252618293801719597.jpg this plant is sending runners like crazy at what point can I clip and plant the babies? The babies appear very pale is this normal?

1557252690408343714117.jpg this java fern has a couple leaves doing this. How and when should I replant the babies? Should I remove the leaf they are growing on?

15572527206641554163797.jpg there appears to be a tiny plant growing from the base of this java fern. What is it and will it hurt the fern?

1557252979544714996080.jpg
This plant is having babies too. Should I separate them will they overcrowd themselves in the corner?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

angelcraze

Water sprite is a stem plant, so it can be pinched off at any leaf node and replanted. Even better if it already has roots. The original cut stem should regrow some new shoots too.

The chain sword (2nd and last pic) needs root nutrients. Pop a piece of root tab under them and see if it helps. I wouldn't remove the plantlet runners from the mother plant until they are growing nice and healthy. Once they are, you could cut the runner and replant them where you want. You could help plant the runners in the substrate (still attached to the mother plant) for now. Chain swords run all over the place IME.

Java fern sometimes propagates like that, forms little plantlets on the older leaves. I leave them grow on the leaf until the leaf nutrients are used up and out starts to melt. Then I section off the plantlets by splitting the original leaf and tucking it into a driftwood or rock cranny to take root itself. Idk what the teeny plant is at the base, but it shouldn't hurt the fern

Wintermagic

Water sprite is a stem plant, so it can be pinched off at any leaf node and replanted. Even better if it already has roots. The original cut stem should regrow some new shoots too.

The chain sword (2nd and last pic) needs root nutrients. Pop a piece of root tab under them and see if it helps. I wouldn't remove the plantlet runners from the mother plant until they are growing nice and healthy. Once they are, you could cut the runner and replant them where you want. You could help plant the runners in the substrate (still attached to the mother plant) for now. Chain swords run all over the place IME.

Java fern sometimes propagates like that, forms little plantlets on the older leaves. I leave them grow on the leaf until the leaf nutrients are used up and out starts to melt. Then I section off the plantlets by splitting the original leaf and tucking it into a driftwood or rock cranny to take root itself. Idk what the teeny plant is at the base, but it shouldn't hurt the fern

Thank you so much.

I did put some root tabs next to each plant last week.
I was concerned about the water sprite because I read that cutting the main stem would cause the main plant to die back. That didn't sound right so wanted to check.

I really do want the chain swords to fill in a couple areas. So I'm glad for all the babies so far. Lol

So I should leave the java ferns alone until the leaf starts melting. It won't be too big a drain on the plant?

angelcraze

Actually now I'm not sure if you can pinch the water sprite at any leaf node. You might only be able to remove the rooted plantlets and replant. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to, but I'm still trying to figure out the difference between wisteria and sprite and I never had water sprite I don't think.....

As for the fern, I personally let the plantlets grow a bit, get a nice root system before relocating, but you could tuck the cut leaf part into a cranny and hope it takes off if you really hate the look of it haha!

Wintermagic

Actually now I'm not sure if you can pinch the water sprite at any leaf node. You might only be able to remove the rooted plantlets and replant. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to, but I'm still trying to figure out the difference between wisteria and sprite and I never had water sprite I don't think.....

As for the fern, I personally let the plantlets grow a bit, get a nice root system before relocating, but you could tuck the cut leaf part into a cranny and hope it takes off if you really hate the look of it haha!

As long as it's not hurting the main plant I don't mind leaving it for now. I do have a few spots the can go when they are ready. Lol

I never expected these plants to be so prolific so quickly. I knew that eventually they would fill in the aquarium but I've only had these plants for two weeks.

Edit: I'm not complaining. I'm actually very excited about it.

angelcraze

Wow, they are doing well When I had chain swords, they filled my 46g bowfront and wrapped around to the background too! They are just heavy root feeders, so need good nutrients in the substrate. That's why the new growth is very light.

Some might tell you you need to add ferts to the water, but try the root tabs for the swords first and see. I personally just started using water ferts again for a tank I'm really trying to grow certain plants in. For easy plants, if you have enough bioload nutrients, that should sustain them.

Wintermagic

Wow, they are doing well When I had chain swords, they filled my 46g bowfront and wrapped around to the background too! They are just heavy root feeders, so need good nutrients in the substrate. That's why the new growth is very light.

Some might tell you you need to add ferts to the water, but try the root tabs for the swords first and see. I personally just started using water ferts again for a tank I'm really trying to grow certain plants in. For easy plants, if you have enough bioload nutrients, that should sustain them.

It's a new tank just over 3 weeks so not even done cycling. I put a 15 pound bag of fluorite in under the gravel. Not enough really. I used Flourish liquid for the very first plants I got then added the root tabs when I got these. I got some easy green fertilizer that I used once last week instead of the flourish.
It's all new to me still. Still not sure how often to fertilize. I'm not sure if they are propagating out of desperation because I'm killing them or if they are happy. Lol

midna

wisteria is a stem plant, water sprite is a rosette fern. so you'd want to just pinch the babies off. cutting a stem of water sprite will not let it regrow, but it might help a new stem grow from the middle of the rosette. if you cut a stem off of water sprite and replant then it'll just die.

Wintermagic

wisteria is a stem plant, water sprite is a rosette fern. so you'd want to just pinch the babies off. cutting a stem of water sprite will not let it regrow, but it might help a new stem grow from the middle of the rosette. if you cut a stem off of water sprite and replant then it'll just die.

So I should cut the stem at the base not the middle to stimulate new growth ? And just remove plantlets with roots without altering the main stem for replanting?

angelcraze

Well if you are still cycling, I'm not sure about ferts, like if you'd need them. Since you have them, a little won't hurt.

yinoma2001

How frequently do you replace your root tabs?

Wintermagic

Well if you are still cycling, I'm not sure about ferts, like if you'd need them. Since you have them, a little won't hurt.
I used the fertilizers because there are no fish to produce food for them yet. It made sense to me that they'd need nutrients. I'm sure there will be a lot of adjusting once I do get fish. Hopefully I'll be able to tell what nutrients they'll need. I saw a few charts showing what the defficiencies can look like.

angelcraze

How frequently do you replace your root tabs?
For me? Or OP?
I add more tabs when it looks like the plant needs a boost. I started issuing less because my plants doubled in size with the tabs and died back a bit when the nutrients ran out. I don't need that much of a boost! Usually every 8 months or so. I use both API and Flourish tabs as well as Osmocote DIY tabs, but I started 'planting' the Osmocote granules individually instead of a whole size 00 gel medicine caplet worth at a time.

yinoma2001

For me? Or OP?
I add more tabs when it looks like the plant needs a boost. I started issuing less because my plants doubled in size with the tabs and died back a bit when the nutrients ran out. I don't need that much of a boost! Usually every 8 months or so. I use both API and Flourish tabs as well as Osmocote DIY tabs, but I started 'planting' the Osmocote granules individually instead of a whole size 00 gel medicine caplet worth at a time.

Interesting. I'm just using Flourish tabs and have been doing about once every 2-3 months. None of my root plants have died but they could probably use a nutrient boost. I use Thrive also but that's just the liquid fertilizer.

angelcraze

I used the fertilizers because there are no fish to produce food for them yet. It made sense to me that they'd need nutrients. I'm sure there will be a lot of adjusting once I do get fish. Hopefully I'll be able to tell what nutrients they'll need. I saw a few charts showing what the defficiencies can look like.
Agreed, my plants always do better once there are fish in the tank.

angelcraze

Interesting. I'm just using Flourish tabs and have been doing about once every 2-3 months. None of my root plants have died but they could probably use a nutrient boost. I use Thrive also but that's just the liquid fertilizer.
Like more than the Flourish tabs and Thrive are providing? That Thrive is supposed to be good stuff. Can't confirm cuz I haven't used it. Maybe lighting is your limiting factor?

midna

So I should cut the stem at the base not the middle to stimulate new growth ? And just remove plantlets with roots without altering the main stem for replanting?

yes, if you see a stem that looks like it's dying, just cut it all the way down to the base or else the leftover part will just rot or stay the same. you can trim it but don't expect it to keep growing from where you trimmed it.

the baby plants should be pretty easy to remove. I just use my fingers and pluck them off the stem. treat it sort of like a java fern.

Wintermagic

yes, if you see a stem that looks like it's dying, just cut it all the way down to the base or else the leftover part will just rot or stay the same. you can trim it but don't expect it to keep growing from where you trimmed it.

the baby plants should be pretty easy to remove. I just use my fingers and pluck them off the stem. treat it sort of like a java fern.
Good to know. Thank you. I cut one of the stems last week so I'll check how it's doing.

yinoma2001

Like more than the Flourish tabs and Thrive are providing? That Thrive is supposed to be good stuff. Can't confirm cuz I haven't used it. Maybe lighting is your limiting factor?

Yes. Lighting is probably the culprit for sure. Plants are doing ok, but not bursting out so to speak.

angelcraze

Yes. Lighting is probably the culprit for sure. Plants are doing ok, but not bursting out so to speak.
You should open up a thread I'm sure with everyone's help here, they could help figure it out and possibly offer some better options. You don't even have to spend a ton of money, you just need the right kind.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Albifrons
Replies
Views
Jocelyn Adelman
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies