Plans To Start Up Again

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by SabrinaBrook, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrookWell Known MemberMember

Hello all,

I hope your all well. I sold my Discus, tanks etc around 5 months ago due to having a life issue where i was living. I have since moved town and am settled again in a new home. I really miss fish keeping and i have the bug to again have fish. Of course ive never got over Discus, i must have them again. Even though i did everything wrong the first time and caused myself many broken hearts, i plan to start again. I have a few questions though, as i am starting brand new with everything.

External Canister Filters, i have never used one but i would like to as i hear they give the best results for water quality. The tank size will be a 4 foot 200 liter tank. Would a 400 liter per hour canister filter be suffice for that tank or a 1400 liter per hour one be better? So its 2x the tank volume an hour or 7x, which would be best? The canister filter im looking at also has a UV light inside it, which i think is great. Also, do i need a hang on the back filter to connect to it? Sorry but i have no idea how it goes into the tank from the canister. If the tank needs to be drilled i with not be getting the canister.

Fish, i plan to ship them from Sydney Discus World. I thought maybe only getting 3 Discus to start with in the first shipment. This way i would not over load filters or upset water stability. I am looking at 9-10 cm Discus, red melon, super yellow and white diamond. Would 3 be ok to start with? With plans to ship 2 more some time after that, a san merah and a fireball.

This is just a plan right now, im not even buying the main tank for another 2 months. So i am open to other suggestions and ideas for the time being. :)

2. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

I can only talk about canisters because I have no discus experience.

They are great and self contained. You don't need to drill as they don't rely on overflow. You don't need a HOB as they have their own pump. I'd definitely go for the x7 one as recommendation are for a minimum of x5.

Also a UV light is great but you need to replace the bulb yearly (more or less).

3. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi, thank you for that good advice. I just looked up photos of canister filters, looks like the tubing has a intake and return, both coming up over the side of the tank, thats great. So sounds like the 1400 an hour for sure, and a new bulb each year. The canister has carbon, sponge and ceramic noodles in it as well of course :)

4. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

Another good thing with canisters is that you can put whichever media you like in it. Ceramic noodles and sponges are good for mechanical filtration but not so much for biological so I'd recommend getting some eheim bio media or seachem matrix. Carbon is good for the beginning (new equipment and tank can leach toxins) but for long term, opinions diverge. One thing for sure is that if you use carbon (or polyfilter or purigen or any chemical filtration media) you need to replace it often.

You might also want to get some polyester pads to really finish off the water cleaning. It'd be the last stage of your filtration.

5. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

Hi Sabrina, welcome back.
    canisters are nice BUT can trap food and debris and cause excess nitrates. if not cleaned regularly, the can become nitrate factories.
    I like them myself but you need to be diligent about keeping them cleaned. also, if your gonna use carbon I would recommend Purigen. I would also run a polishing pad in the last segment of the canister.
    as for the Discus, I know we have had these conversations before but to answer your question, NO, 3 would not be good, 5-6 all at once would be much better. you won't overload your filter as water changes should take care of that problem.

6. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Thank you again for the advice, i will now google these media and carbons and find out where i can buy them locally. :)
    I was aware that opinions vary with carbon, some even saying its not needed at all. But i had another thread on this site awhile ago about carbon and got very good advice that it is infact needed at all times, i must find that thread again and re read the advice.

Thank you Disc61, its good to be back.
    Advice on keeping the canister clean noted. How often would you clean it aprox? Or is it something that i can check by opening the top every few days to monitor? With the Purigen, i have just looked it up, it looks to be a granule type of product, so i would need to bag it yes? And do i use this purigen product in place of any carbon product or both together? Does Purigen need to be replaced on a monthly basis? Sorry for all the questions but i dont want to make any mistakes. The polishing pad, what is it and how do i look it up please? With the fish, thank you for correcting me, i thought i remembered someone saying something about not ordering to many at once. So i will now order all 5 at once, i would love to have more but i will only have a 200 liter tank so i want them to have room enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  7. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

Purigen does need to be bagged because it's made of fine grain (and erosion can make it even smaller). But it will replace other forms of chemical filtration (including carbon) and doesn't need to be replaced as often: instead it needs to be cleaned with bleach (they explain it well on the official website for purigen).

The polishing pads are the same thing as the polyester I mentioned. You put it in the last section of your filter to get rid of the smallest particulars that haven't been caught by anything else. It helps you have crystal clear water but it's not necessary at all.

8. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Thank you again Pellet :)
    Yes i read about the cleaning process of purigen, im not keen at all soaking it in bleach even if after i soak it for 8 hours in prime after. I think if i can i will just buy a new tub of purigen each time i need to replace it for the safety of my fish, not only will they be very expensive fish they will be my babies.
    The polishing pads/Polyester, is this the white filter media? Its not a sponge but a white mesh type product?

9. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

yep

10. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi all,
    I put a tank on hold this week, hoping to pick it up next week sometime :D
    This is the exact tank here:  
    I am starting from scratch so have a very long list of things I need to start this baby up. I had almost forgot how expensive fish keeping is lol
    I am going bare bottom with driftwood, fake silk plants and perhaps a nice ornament.
    I have decided to do a fishless cycle with ammonia, which could take up to 6 weeks to cycle. Which I'm not worried about, I am in no hurry at all with this project.
    I eventually plan to buy 5 Discus of around 8-10cm from a reputable source.
    On the above things, does anyone have any ideas or advice or changes i should make?

11. Disc61

waaahooo, your getting close, that's exciting isn't it. glad to see your going with 5 Discus instead of 3, very good decision.
    also thrilled to see you doing a fishless cycle. 6 weeks goes by before you know it.
    Reputable source? one of the BEST things you can do in keeping Discus.

Sounds to me like you have a good handle on it.

of course I myself have been without Discus the past year as I have been working with Seahorses and saltwater community.
    I will putting together a Discus setup in the next few months myself. once bitten, it is hard to stay away for very long.

12. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Disc61 :)
    Yes I'm looking forward to the fishless cycle, I havnt done one before so I hope I am successful. I am going to be following info I was directed to on a Discus forum, the woman that wrote the fishless cycle instructions kept Discus for 35 years, so I think I'm safe on that account..
    Yes, I plan to buy/order the discus from Sydney Discus World, I am however concerned about shipping them through the mail :(

Seahorses and saltwater community, wow you have your hands full lol
    Super happy to hear your going to go back to Discus, I know what you mean by once bitten!

Anyway, I will keep you guys updated on things, its going to be a slow process this time :)

13. Disc61

don't worry about shipping at all. any reputable dealer has been shipping for years and knows exactly how to do it.
    afterall, how do you think most fish get to your local fish store? they have them shipped as well. no worries....

14. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

You are totally right Disc61, I guess I'm just a worry wart :banghead:

Hospital tank has been cleaned up with apple cider vinegar, Ive been on Ebay ordering things that will arrive next week. There is 1 more week delay on the tank arriving, should have it home by next Wednesday at the latest.

15. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

@Disc61
    Just a couple of quick questions if I may.

The tank comes with a HOB filter, the manufacturing site says it runs 600 liters an hour, which is 3x the tank volume, its a 182 liter tank. I have looked up the recommended liters per hour on fishlore and it says a HOB filter should run 8-10x the tank volume an hour.. Am I going to need more filtration than above? Have 2 HOB filters? I have a jumbo sponge filter going in the tank as well..

With the Seachem Purigen, I plan to use this but when do I add it to the filter? After it is fully cycled? Ive never used it before sorry.. Do I take out any other carbon and use the purigen in its place? And can I also have ceramic noodles as well as the purigen?

Tank is coming home on Tuesday next week, 4 sleeps Lol :D

16. Disc61

OK, lets get this out of the way. you said you learned from last time and I know you did, sooo that means your gonna do daily water changes, right??
    with that said, you really can't have to much filtration (as long as you keep any build up from happening within the HOB containers). the build up can and will cause nitrates to grow, so keep that in mind. to answer that question, that along with the large sponge filter will be plenty. I myself don't use HOB's at all when growing out, just 2 large sponge filters is plenty in a 55gl. and less chance of build up. if it was me, I would purchase another sponge filter and just use the HOB to hold the purigen. IMO, ceramic noodles are not necessary but yes, you can use them along with Purigen. and yes, no need for any other carbon source other than the purigen.

17. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi,
    Thank you for that advice. So I will run with the 1 HOB (with Purigen & noodles) and 2 jumbo sponge filters, sounds great. Yes I will be doing water changes daily, it will be a strict routine this time around. I will post a few pics on Tuesday night once I get the tank home :)

18. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

19. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Ok so with what I had I couldn't help myself, I had to kick start the project last night. So I filled the tank, placed the giant sponge filter in and HOB on, 2 pieces of driftwood and a skull, then added 2 Bio Super booster pads and let it run over night. Yes, I totally changed my mind on the ammonia fishless cycle, I'm trying the other way. Today I pulled the biogrid slider out of the HOB and replaced it with a bag of ceramic noodles, removed the Bio pads from the water and added half of the sponge pad from my cycled 20 liter to the new HOB and then placed the heater in the tank. The tank looks very bear, besides some silk plants to come I'm still up in the air on what I want for a centre piece of d├ęcor..

KH: 71.6
    GH: 107.4
    PH: 7.6
    High Range PH: 7.4
    Ammonia: 0.50
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0

20. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi guys :)
    I reverted back to the ammonia fishless cycle after all, I have another thread here where I'm getting help with the fishless cycle side of things. The test readings are a bit scary and that doubled with me never doing a fishless cycle before could be cause for alarm lol... I have no idea what to expect but I am being patient with the process.
    I ordered the Seachem Purigen 100ml bagged pouch today, I will hold off adding it until the tank has cycled properly.
    I will go with a big ship wreck for the centre piece in the tank, I want to do something different (not just driftwood). I read you can dip plants into a bleach solution to rid any snails ect, so I am now looking into live plants again. I really love the Blue Stricta plants, Swords and Topiary Balls.. I am still getting use to the bear bottom situation, I loved sand more.
    So things are going along slowly, which is hard being impatient like I am :banghead:

EDIT: 30/8/17
    I decorated the tank today guys! I am very happy with how it turned out :D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice