Plans for a new small tank

lalynya
Well I am more of a community tank girl but I spose a species specific wouldn't hurt. My new plan is to get a 5 gal and use black gravel paint the background black and put 2-3 brighly colored neon plants in there and have a very small school of glofish...hopefully I can start to work on it in my coming up paycheck..I can't wait to see how it will turn out..I don't usually go for fake plants but the idea poped in my head and I can't get it out.

Amnagrla
Of course it's up to you, however, how many are you planning on a "very small school"??

You have to take into effect that they are 2"... so if you had 3 of them you'd be overstocked by 1". They also are most comfortable in a school of 6.

Just something to think about.

MissMTS
If you wanted to do a cool 5 gallon species only tank, at trio of killifish would work nicely. They are pretty fish and very interesting

Amnagrla
If you wanted to do a cool 5 gallon species only tank, at trio of killifish would work nicely. They are pretty fish and very interesting

That's a nice idea!! They're pretty!

lalynya
Of course it's up to you, however, how many are you planning on a "very small school"??

You have to take into effect that they are 2"... so if you had 3 of them you'd be overstocked by 1". They also are most comfortable in a school of 6.

Just something to think about.

I've never seen them that big...maybee I'll get something a lil bigger =) I'm sure my BF will that..note the sarcasm

MissMTS
A 10 gallon would be nice for a school of 5 glofish. You can find the 10 gallon tanks pretty cheap at Walmart and Petco

Amnagrla
A 10 gallon would be nice for a school of 5 glofish. You can find the 10 gallon tanks pretty cheap at Walmart and Petco

lol yeah, I bought my 10 gallon pretty cheap from PetCo.

The BF will just have to deal!!

lalynya
He'll probably end up chuckeling at me and shaking his head...he knows he wants his own tank..I see him plotting it in his head

MissMTS
Maybe if you buy 2 10 gallons, he can have his own and then he won't be able to give you a hard time about your tanks anymore Sorry, I'm just strategizing

lalynya
no Cuz I know the type of theme he wants and he will need more then a 10 gal for it

Amnagrla
hahaha
so YOU can be the good one... have him get the bigger tank....

lalynya
..yeah right except I would end up being the one to take care of it..He doesn't know the first thing about fish except you feed them

Amnagrla
They can be trained, you know..... >

lalynya
lmaorofl...not as well as the fish..

angelfish220
The only multiple fish you can keep in a 5 gal is 3 or 4 male endlers.

Amnagrla
hahahahahahaha no comment... :-X

lalynya
The only multiple fish you can keep in a 5 gal is 3 or 4 male endlers.

I disagree...I think it really depends on how well you maintain the tank

angelfish220
to a certaint degree yes, but danios ( or their genetically altered counterparts glofish) stay small but they swim really fast and jerky, and a small tank might be okay size wise, but I don't think it provides them with the swimming room they need.

lalynya
That's why I try to find the ones that are long as opposed to tall..that's what othellos tank is like

angelfish220
I don't know, I feel bad keeping danios in my 10, just for a hopital tank. They just really enjoy the swimming room. I don't think that they would be at their happiest in a small tank.

lalynya
Ok so I decided to use my hospital tank for this project It's 10 gallon and (I know I know I'm a bad fish keeper) I don't really use it..The one time I did The new fish still got a fungus as soon as I transfered to the main tank. Since I had put the fish with camallanus in there when it was at its worst I will make sure to bleach the tank and make sure it is mega clean..Hmm I wonder what kind of fish I can use as the focal fish in this tank??? hmmmm..i'm going to have to think on that.

lalynya
I have the tank all set up....I am cyceling it right now...I add a small amount of food into it everyday and I put some garvel from my 55 in teh filter to help the cycle..I also have three small cherry shrimp in there which the LFS said should be ok since they don't make a whole lot mess..any other ideas on what I can do to cycle the tank???

lalynya
so excited....I stoped by the LFS YESTerday and found they got a new shipment of glofish...I go two of each color..I couldn't take them home yet cuz they have to quarenteen them first but I'm going to pick them up on Friday....so excited

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crowlbearfishing
Replies
Views
James95
Replies
Views
Fishnturtleguy933
Replies
Views