Planning To Change My Filter

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Aya Ikeuchi, Apr 15, 2017.

1. A

Aya Ikeuchi New Member Member

Hi Fishlore, i have a 20 gallon tall tank with 6 pristella tetras im using a corner filter right now. Im planning to get a new filter coz i will move my filter to my 5G unfiltered betta tank. Im pretty tight on budget so im eyeing for a internal power filter or overhead filter for my 20G. Which is the better type of filter and what is the minimum gph i need? Thanks guys!

2. fishychachki

fishychachki Valued Member Member

Usually the recommended hourly output is ten times your tank size so 200 gph for a 20 g.

Another option would to keep the filter there since the pristella tetras are doing well with it, I presume? Instead, you can buy a small/medium sponge filter for your 5g betta tank.

It should also be a lot cheaper than most other types of filters and the process involves lower risk of you losing your cycle in the 20gallon when you move the established filter out (unless you let the new filter sit and collect bb first for a few weeks in your 20g before moving the old filter into your betta's tank).

3. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I totally agree. Keep the main filter where it is, and get a small sponge filter for the 5g. They are very inexpensive.

4. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I would agree that you should leave your old filter where it is.

Sponge filters are good for Betta's as they provide a gentle flow. They are also relatively inexpensive in comparison to other filters. I usually sit some of the biological media on top of the sponge filter for biological filtration so you could take some from your old filter to seed the new one and have an instant cycle.

If you buy another type of filter for the betta tank make sure that it has an adjustable pump to reduce flow. An aqua clear 20 would also be a great option if you were willing to spend a little more money.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Aya Ikeuchi New Member Member

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I want to upgrade to a better filter in my 20g thats why im thinking to put my current filter to my 5g unfiltered tank. I will keep my current filter in the 20g while the new one is getting seeded with BB. Should i go for internal power filter or overhead filter? Is 200 gph the minimum gph for my 20g? tnx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice