Planning Stock For Planted 55 Gallon. Schooling/centerpiece 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Broski, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Broski

Broski New Member Member

My 55 gallon is almost finished cycling and I'd like your input on the stock I'm planning.

I am not sure on the numbers of each fish yet but I'd like to make sure they are all compatible.
    I have a regular dimension 55 gallon that is going to be planted.

I'd like to have a Freshwater community tank with schooling fish and big/colorful centerpiece fish, appropriate for a 55 gallon.

So far I'd like to have:
    Kuhli Loches,
    Red Tailed Shark (two if possible)
    Ram Cichlid - electric blue, gold or bolivian. The more colorful the better.
    Rumm nose tetra.
    Maybe an angel fish pair. (My wife likes them but I know they are very aggressive)
    Gouramis.

Thank you for taking a look.

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I would avoid having two red tail sharks. One will eventually get killed off.

The angels will require warmer temperatures. While they do overlap in temperatures it be tough to keep an easy medium. The same will go with kuhli loaches.

3. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Valued Member Member

I don't think it would be best to keep a RTS with kuhli loaches cuz RTS are territorial especially to other bottom dwellers. The angelfish may make a snack out of the tetras once they get big enough. Everything else seems OK but what specie of gouramis are you thinking of getting?

4. OP
    OP
    Broski

Broski New Member Member

Yea I was afraid of that with the RTS and loaches. Which is a shame because I really like both.

I was thinking of blue, gold or pearl gourami. I haven't quite decided yet.

Also, I really like schooling fish so I'm trying to figure out what other schooling fish would look good with what I have. I don't know if neon tetras or if the angel fish would even be ok with any kind of schooling fish.

5. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Valued Member Member

You could try some black skirt tetras or just about any tetra that isn't small enough to be eaten by the angelfish

6. OP
    OP
    Broski

Broski New Member Member

If I add plenty of hiding spaces to my tank at opposite sides will that be enough to have a red tailed shark and kuhli loaches? I really like both species so I’m trying to make them work.

I made a small cave on the left but I think I can add a few more and the plants should help with cover when they show up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice