Planning on setting up a tank for breeding guppies. Substrate quesiton.

1. JessH18

JessH18 Valued Member Member

So I want to get into breeding fish and figured the easiest and cheapest way to get me started in the learning process is with guppies. I have a 29 gallon tank that I plan on using for this purpose. I just want to make sure that I am doing it right.

So I'm not overly concerned with keeping all the fry alive, if some get eaten by the adult guppies in the tank it's not a big deal. We have a planted tank with some plants that I plan on putting in the guppy breeding tank. Jungle Val, Dwarf Sag, Water Sprite, and some type of moss, haven't gotten there yet.

Substrate is my biggest question. I know that you are supposed to do a bare bottom, but I was wondering if I could do gravel or pool filter sand?

Since I'm not concerned about keeping all the fry I am probably not going to separate the adults from the babies. I guess I'm looking for some general knowledge about the whole thing! I know from what I've read and videos I've watched it all looks pretty simple, but I'd like to do things right, not half-assed.

2. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have gravel and sand and my guppies and fry do fine. If you're planting, it's easier with substrate too :) good luck!!x

3. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I provide plenty of hiding places for The fry. I have sand substrate in mine, it doesn't really matter. Plants are good too. Be ready to cull unwanted fry.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I use gravel and heavily plant.

5. OP
    OP
    JessH18

JessH18 Valued Member Member

Thanks guys! I think I am going to go with a black sand and lots of plants.

6. Linda4088

Linda4088 Valued Member Member

I have a heavily planted Dirted tank for my guppies but you need a lot of floaters because that's where the babies hide. I read somewhere that sand doesn't work as well for plants. Something about oxygen not getting down to the roots and creating the bad bacteria that doesn't need oxygen. My tank is dirt with gravel on top.

7. D

Demise New Member Member

If your main goal is to breed guppies then it's probably best to just do a bare tank and remove the mother after the fry are released, that way none of them will get eaten and the tank will be the easiest to maintain. You can use java moss to give the fry hiding space from non-existent predators, but all in all, it won't be necessary.

Otherwise if you want a livebearer tank where you want some fry to survive then do a regular heavily planted tank with many bushy plants. Put stuff like java moss and floating hornworth for fry refuges. In this case I recommend whatever substrate will work the best for the plants, soil, lava soil, or synthetics like eco complete, avoid cheap nutrient poor gravel/sand since you'll need to supplement the plants with root tabs. Fry won't care anyways.

In either case use sponge filters or put sponges over the filter intakes so they fry won't get sucked in.