Planning on guppy - molly hybrids, any suggestions?

lllllblader

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys, me once again

First, sorry for the lack of posts. I was at vacation and couldn't help much.

I am planning on breeding a male guppy with a female black molly and would like suggestions. I'm not doing it now, I need to wait for my other fry to grow.

So, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

SugarJunkee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would it be a golly or a muppy? Hehehhe, couldn't resist, but really, I didn't know they'd breed cross-species :shock:

JessiNoel21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
From my experience with Muppies is not a good one I had what I thought was a male molly and turned out to be a female and one of my male guppies bred with her and of the 30 fry she had only 4 lived pass the first week and than 3 died at one month old I now have a male Muppie that I give my mom to live in her 90 gallon. Muppies are very hard to raise and alot of born with defects. I have hear of people having them survive but I was not taking the risk again. Good luck but I would not do it.

lllllblader

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It will be a Muppy I think lol

crayfish1

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will not crossbreed

lllllblader

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
crayfish1 said:
They will not crossbreed
Yes they will, if not presented with another individual of their own species.

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Best results that I've read about are from crossing a male molly with a female guppy. There is a lot left to chance when trying to breed them. Just because they are in the same tank doesn't mean they will breed .

Like stated above, most of the fry die early on.

lllllblader

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know, I will get them a seperate tank and put the male molly with the female mosaic guppy.

deon junior

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
they will breed but the fry are born with a lot problems and if im not mistaken they are all infertile

lllllblader

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
deon junior said:
they will breed but the fry are born with a lot problems and if im not mistaken they are all infertile
I'm not planning on breeding the hybrids, I'm planning on creating the hybrids to show to my friends.

midnamoondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting.

lllllblader

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

skybluesam1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well for all the people that are saying that you can`t breed them yes you can due to them both being part of the Poecilia family.

For example:
Mollies are: Poecilia sphenops
Guppies areoecilia reticulata

Now that I have cleared that up it is time for me to give my advice . Personally I would not breed a molly and a guppy together due to as said above the fry dying quite early on and a lot of the fry have a higher chance of having a disability.

It can also be very hard to breed hybrids as like also said above just because they are in the same tank does NOT! mean that they will breed.

The plus point however is the fact that you can create some really cool hybrids as like you said you would show off to your friends. If you do manage/want to breed them then please remember to upload a picture on to here so we can see what they look like and also give us details like how many you lost please.

What ever your decision thanks for reading and I hope that you choose the right decision for yourself.

lllllblader

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I still don't have them, they will be born later. Iknow, it doenst mean they will breed.
However, if they dont get another individual from their species, they can and will crossbreed.

wierdoinabowl3498

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hmm...you're giving me ideas for my new breeding tank...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom