Planning on getting new fish... Need ideas for tankmates

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by smELLE, Jun 29, 2016.

1. s

smELLE New Member Member

I have a 125 litre tank and have 10 silver tip tetra, 5 Cardinal tetra, 1 neon tetra and a male Siamese fighter fish....

I want to get more fish I am gonna get a bristle nose Pleco but not sure what else is suitable and appropriate as I did have Serpea tetra and they fin nipped my cardinals and betta..

any ideas?

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

Other placid fish such as cory cats, harlequin rasboras, maybe some loaches? The main thing to avoid with bettas are fin nippers, bigger more colourful fish which might intimidate/start a fight with it or anything that the betta might consider food.

Some have also had luck with shrimps and snails but this really depends on the fish as some bettas don't care about them and others will have them for a snack.

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I would rehome the neon and not get any more schooling fish. Also, your profile says you don't know the nitrogen cycle. Is your tank cycled? What are your parameters - pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? I wouldn't add any more fish if your tank isn't cycled.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd increase your cardinal school to 8-12 and rehome the betta (or get it a separate, 2.5 gal minimum tank). They're not good community tank mates - either they attack and stress the other fish, or the other fish stress them.

What about something like this?

10x Silvertip tetra
    10x Cardinal tetra
    1x BN pleco
    1x Dwarf gourami or 2-3x honey gourami
    1x Bolivian ram

5. OP
    OP
    s

smELLE New Member Member

The betta is the only one that isn't causing problems haha... Plus I really don't wanna rehouse him as he was the one I really wanted

6. W

TexasDomer I respectfully disagree. Some bettas can be housed in communities (so long as they're well chosen). I had one that lived with a group of guppies without a hitch, it just depends on the fish.

As for the schooling fish, is your one neon schooling with your cardinals or is he by himself. If the latter case then he either needs some company of his own kind or to be found an new home.

7. OP
    OP
    s

smELLE New Member Member

@Wildside I have known people who have house betta successfully in a community tank and with guppies... I'm not too sure if he is schooling with them... I think so but they are hiding so well it is hard to see.

How many neons is a good school? Same as how many cardinals is a good group? I didn't mean to get the neon but he was in the wrong tank :(

@el337 I had my tank cycling for 2 months before adding fish and on Saturday when I bought the fish I got the shop to test the water for me and it was all good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2016
  8. el337

How did you cycle the tank? What ammonia source were you using? Did the shop give you the test results? Most of the time, the stores will use test strips or tell you it's fine when it really isn't. I'd invest in your own test kit. It's much more convenient knowing you can test your water at any time and know it's accurate. Most of us here use API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

9. W

A good school size is a minimum of 6 fish, any less and they feel a little lonely/stressed. I have heard however that neons with sometimes school with cardinals but I don't think it's enough.

10. OP
    OP
    s

smELLE New Member Member

no they didn't give me the result. They put some water in test tubes and added some stuff to it.... I am looking to invest in a test kit soon

11. el337

Well, that's good they used liquid tests but it would have been better to know the results. Most of the time, the stores don't know how to interpret those results and what good water quality is. Can you go back and have them test both your tank water and tap water for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?

And how did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Did you dose pure ammonia or add fish food? If they say your tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates then it would be considered cycled.

12. OP
    OP
    s

smELLE New Member Member

Added fish food... I am getting a smaller tank to put my silver tips in as I have just bought 10 neons and they have been pushed in the bushes with my Cardinal I'll probably move the betta to the small tank too

13. el337

How small of a tank are you getting? I don't recommend putting the betta in with other fish.

Neons need cooler temps than the cardinals though I wouldn't have added any more fish until you had tested your water to know if it was cycled or not. TexasDomer's stocking suggestion in post 4 would have been a better idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice