Planning on doing a planted tank for the first time.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by allthefishinmytank, Aug 6, 2015.

1. allthefishinmytankValued MemberMember

My question is whether or not I will be able to take my current tank remove the fish and substrate then put the dirt and all that jazz down and put the fish back in. I'm sure this will be pretty stressful for the fish but will the soil affect my water parameters or will I be ok? I've always been very interested in the planted tank and am excited to start any advice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Dirting a tank is pretty easy and shouldn't be a problem if you do it correctly. But if you don't want to go through the hassle with dirting the tank, you can just use root tabs. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    a

allthefishinmytankValued MemberMember

What's that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

5. BMcK

BMcKValued MemberMember

Some dirts (can't remember which ones) will mess with your ph for a little bit. Somebody else will be able to give more info

6. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

You can have a very lush planted tank with any substrate you choose, sand, gravel, heck I think I could grow some plants in a bed of marbles. As mentioned above, root tabs will provide nutrients to the roots of your plants just fine. All without the hassles of adding dirt to your tank. In my tanks I have used gravel, sand, and mix of the two with great results. I use black diamond blasting sand as well, it works great, and looks good, just add some root tabs.

Also, here is a link to an article I put together on getting started with planted tank. The photo at the top of the page is my 40 gallon tank grown in regular cheap black aquarium gravel with some root tabs.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice