Planning my next tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by jmoneyisback, Jul 11, 2015.

1. jmoneyisback

jmoneyisbackValued MemberMember

So here's the deal. My wife says that I can't even talk about a new tank until January or the year 2017. She will also be birthing my offspring sometime in November. This gives me 540 days to save the money I need for a new tank and equipment while at the same providing for the mini human that will be with us soon. So to start saving, I have to know what I need.

I'd like either a 75 or 90 gallon tank.

Other requirements are:

No HOB filters.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Congrats! What kind of tank are you thinking of starting? Why not a SW? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

Thought about about. But isn't it significantly more expensive both upfront and to maintain?

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Lol 540 days... Well for me, an Aqueon 75 gallon tank and stand cost me $400, original price $500. With the cost of canister, heaters, substrate, it will cost $700-800. That's not including the cost of the fish themselves lol.

Gonna add this is for a FW setup.

6. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

Yeah, the fish...I'll worry about that later. The good thing about that is unlike the equipment, I don't need to get all the fish at once.

Is there a kit that comes with lights suitable for plants? What canister would you recommend? I want to go sand. I believe it's Anders247 who touts the Black Diamond Sand from Tractor Supply. But for a 90 gallon, how much would I need?

7. AquaticBrandon

Hehe Nevermind the SW tank. You'll be shocked when I tell you the total lol.

8. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Id go for a Sun Sun Canister, nearly half the price of the other big name brands and still great filters, you could basically get 2 of them for the price of one of the bigger name brands like Fluval or Eheim etc. As far as substrate I think youd be gopod with 2x 50lb bags of the sand and still have some extra left over. I dont know of any kits that come with decent lights for plants, but I use a Finnex Planted plus on my 55g and it does great for plants. Dadio uses grobeam I believe and that might be better as you could get 2 of those for a hair more than one finnex fixture and theyd get better light penetration for a larger tank than the finnex would.

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Substrate should be a pound per gallon evenly spread out. As for canister, I'm running a Fluval 406, rated for up to 100 gallons supposedly, 383 GPH.

10. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

540 days. I bet your marking the days off the calendar. That's awesome! :)

I'm sure you know there are many different ways to cut costs when setting up a tank. But since you're in the planning/saving stage right now, I'd shoot for $700 to $1,000. Then go from there.

Not sure if your wife will go for it, but you can always just buy different pieces at different times. When your not spending it all at once, $30 here, $75 there doesn't seem so bad.

If your going the sand blasting route, since 75's and 90's have the same footprint, I'd get two 50 pound bags. That should give you about 2 inches of substrate.

Congrats on the offspring/mini humane that is invading your wife's belly. Fish tanks are cheap compared to those things. ;)

11. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

I use the 2 Aquaray GroBeam Ultima 600's on my O2A 55G tank and they are imo a better light and as @Bluestreakfl said they do get deeper and more natural lighting. My experience with afew of the others helped me to also understand a few of the minor issues I was having with this tank. I also have two other tanks using other brands so it was easy for me to see the why's.

There are a few options that can get pricy (worth it if you ask me, these UK boys went a few steps further than many others) but with a little imagination you can save that for latter if really needed. They also draw less power then the others using better CREE led technology, power drivers and circuitry (Ex IT tech here).

Well worth the investment, great 5yr warranty, WATERPROOF (Hear that current :)~~~ ), 2yr on the power supply and love them and the results. I mounted them on a 1/2 square cedar spindle across my tank as I have a custom cedar hood. The shimmer effect is a wow for me and the community as well both from a response point and visual point for me. CREE LEDs are quite different from many brands that use high power leds with multi colors to come as close as possible to the natural lighting required for planted tanks. Example, my last unit I could glimpse into it without issues to my eyes, don't try it with these ones lol, my eyes took almost a week before they got the stars out.. When I got these I was so excited and happy cause the other blew (yes, I did use a dry loop) and my plant loss was getting up there, lost 60 % of my baby tears. These units in the long term pay for themselves. The other great part of them is the technology, the serviceability and performance for a series of 10 leds only. I think many of the others are great ways to start, but imo and now after the series of events with other brands I went another route and took a chance. It paid off. I won't drag this out more, but if you have questions on them please feel free to ask me.

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Lol @ BDpups... The last part of your last post.

13. Dadio

LOL, yep, been there, done that and the sorry to say, but diapers alone are a challenge in comparison to cleaning my filters at times lol

14. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

No kidding!!

15. Dadio

A little 10 here, a 20 there you'd be surprised what a year of that could bring.:;toast

16. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

Thanks! We're super excited for dirty diapers and crying and what not. I could see if I can get it piece by piece. I can already hear her now...Where are going to keep it? LOL.

17. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yeah, like BDpups said, 2 bags.

18. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

Would that be the medium or fine?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Either. I have fine in my 55.

20. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice