Planning For 37g Tank

Blaggy

Member
Hey guys! I'm new to the hobby and I'm just in the beginning stages of cycling my first tank. I have a 37g, with tan gravel substrate and fake plants/decor. The setup is a Top Fin Aquarium Kit. Dimensions are 30"Lx12"Wx22"H. While I'm waiting for my cycle, I've been contemplating the fish I'd like to stock into my aquarium. So far this is what I'm thinking:

First
3x Swordtails (not sure on the colors yet) - 1m/2f
OR/Both
4x Guppies - 4m (each different colors)

Second
4x Cories - For bottom dwellers (not sure which type yet, any suggestions? My bf likes the albino ones so that's a possibility)

Third
6x Tetras - I like the Lemons a lot, but open to others based on the rest of my stocking below!

Fourth
2x Honey Gouramis - I will make sure I get the true Trichogaster chuna. I don't want any hybrids, so I'll shop online from reputable sellers.

Fifth
1x Angelfish - I'd lastly like to have an angelfish. Just one, but based on my stockings above, do you think that's a good idea or should I switch things out?

Let me know your opinions and give your own ideas as well!

I've added a photo of my aquarium from the first day I set it up.
 

Attachments

Mathew Sanders

Member
BLagBolivianRam said:
Hey guys! I'm new to the hobby and I'm just in the beginning stages of cycling my first tank. I have a 37g, with tan gravel substrate and fake plants/decor. The setup is a Top Fin Aquarium Kit. Dimensions are 30"Lx12"Wx22"H. While I'm waiting for my cycle, I've been contemplating the fish I'd like to stock into my aquarium. So far this is what I'm thinking:

First
3x Swordtails (not sure on the colors yet) - 1m/2f
OR/Both
4x Guppies - 4m (each different colors)

Second
4x Cories - For bottom dwellers (not sure which type yet, any suggestions? My bf likes the albino ones so that's a possibility)

Third
6x Tetras - I like the Lemons a lot, but open to others based on the rest of my stocking below!

Fourth
2x Honey Gouramis - I will make sure I get the true Trichogaster chuna. I don't want any hybrids, so I'll shop online from reputable sellers.

Fifth
1x Angelfish - I'd lastly like to have an angelfish. Just one, but based on my stockings above, do you think that's a good idea or should I switch things out?

Let me know your opinions and give your own ideas as well!

I've added a photo of my aquarium from the first day I set it up.
First off with that many different types of fish you're going to need more hiding places or territories in that tank. With the Cory's you should have a sand subtrate or the rocks could damage them and cause discomfort I'd replace those with 3 ghost shrimp and 2 nerite snails as for the two guramI it's never good to have 2 of a fish unless it's a ram chichlid and in that case you would have to do a male/ female so you would end up needing 3 guramI 1 male 2 female but as long if you don't do the Cory you should be fine and add some more hiding spots. PS. I didn't notice a heater or a filter in your tank with that large a load of fish you should really have both or look up the temperature needed
 
  • Thread Starter

Blaggy

Member
Mathew Sanders said:
First off with that many different types of fish you're going to need more hiding places or territories in that tank. With the Cory's you should have a sand subtrate or the rocks could damage them and cause discomfort I'd replace those with 3 ghost shrimp and 2 nerite snails as for the two guramI it's never good to have 2 of a fish unless it's a ram chichlid and in that case you would have to do a male/ female so you would end up needing 3 guramI 1 male 2 female but as long if you don't do the Cory you should be fine and add some more hiding spots. PS. I didn't notice a heater or a filter in your tank with that large a load of fish you should really have both or look up the temperature needed
My bad. I selected the wrong photo haha.
IMG_6812.JPG


Darn alright I knew I should have gone with a sand substrate. I like the look of it better but figured it would be harder to maintain. I like the idea of snails and ghost shrimp.

I’ve read that the honey gouramis are extremely peaceful fish that like being with another so I’m planning on a male/female pair.

What would you suggest I add for more hiding spots? Taller fake plants? Caves?
 

WadeEH

Member
I don't have Cories, but I have heard that they are OK on smooth gravel like yours. I think DoubleDutch has a lot of experience with them and could give you a better answer.
 

Mathew Sanders

Member
BLagBolivianRam said:
My bad. I selected the wrong photo haha.
IMG_6812.JPG


Darn alright I knew I should have gone with a sand substrate. I like the look of it better but figured it would be harder to maintain. I like the idea of snails and ghost shrimp.

I’ve read that the honey gouramis are extremely peaceful fish that like being with another so I’m planning on a male/female pair.

What would you suggest I add for more hiding spots? Taller fake plants? Caves?
Just one cave should do and with those LEDs you could handle some duckweed or pistia would look really cool in your tank and also help bus as for the gouramis I have had 2 platties literally the most stupid peaceful fish in the world lol besides Cory's being more peaceful but even then a male will always bother the female I would definitely recommend 2 female but you might get lucky with them getting along the only fish I know for sure that do well with 1 male and 1 female are ram chichlid
 

DoubleDutch

Member
WadeEH said:
I don't have Cories, but I have heard that they are OK on smooth gravel like yours. I think DoubleDutch has a lot of experience with them and could give you a better answer.
Though they love sand and am swapping to PFS when possible mine never had issues on gravel (which looks like yours).

d07c7d53c690b2cde6c91afa3cc55823.jpg
 

WadeEH

Member
Also if you do get the Cories, you should get six of them. They do better with at least six in a group. I agree with Mathew Sanders on the Honey Gourami's it would probably be better to get two females.
 

Mathew Sanders

Member
WadeEH said:
Also if you do get the Cories, you should get six of them. They do better with at least six in a group. I agree with Mathew Sanders on the Honey Gourami's it would probably be better to get two females.
Yup and if you were that set on doing the Cory which in my opinion would be pushing the limits I'd do 6 pygmy Cory they stay small and have less of a bio load but in my opinion shrimp/snails will do better
 
  • Thread Starter

Blaggy

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Though they love sand and am swapping to PFS when possible mine never had issues on gravel (which looks like yours).

d07c7d53c690b2cde6c91afa3cc55823.jpg
Mathew Sanders said:
Yup and if you were that set on doing the Cory which in my opinion would be pushing the limits I'd do 6 pygmy Cory they stay small and have less of a bio load but in my opinion shrimp/snails will do better
Great to know, I'll contemplate which to do, having the snails/shrimp would allow for more fish options.

WadeEH said:
Also if you do get the Cories, you should get six of them. They do better with at least six in a group. I agree with Mathew Sanders on the Honey Gourami's it would probably be better to get two females.
I'll make sure to get 6 if I get them.

What if I only get 1 male honey then? Would that be perfectly fine?
 

DoubleDutch

Member
BLagBolivianRam said:
Great to know, I'll contemplate which to do, having the snails/shrimp would allow for more fish options.



I'll make sure to get 6 if I get them.

What if I only get 1 male honey then? Would that be perfectly fine?
Think about C.panda.
I wouldn't keep a single honey btw.

4896e4017ad1a64f86ec7fc1027bd1b0.jpg
 

Mathew Sanders

Member
BLagBolivianRam said:
Great to know, I'll contemplate which to do, having the snails/shrimp would allow for more fish options.



I'll make sure to get 6 if I get them.

What if I only get 1 male honey then? Would that be perfectly fine?
Yea if you only have 1 honey that would be fine male or female and it would also bring down your bio load
 

Mathew Sanders

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Think about C.panda.
I wouldn't keep a single honey btw.

4896e4017ad1a64f86ec7fc1027bd1b0.jpg
With as many fish in the aqaurium you already have I would do pygmy Cory's pandas get too big
 

DoubleDutch

Member
Mathew Sanders said:
With as many fish in the aqaurium you already have I would do pygmy Cory's pandas get too big
Too big ??? Pandas? For a 37G tank ?
Pygmaeus are midwaterswimmer btw.
 

Mathew Sanders

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Too big ??? Pandas? For a 37G tank ?
Pygmaeus are midwaterswimmer btw.
Did you read the beginning with all the other fish being added to the tank
 

TexasDomer

Member
I think you'd be fine to have two unknown sex honey gouramis. They are very peaceful.

I wouldn't add an angel with the stocking you wanted.

I'd go with 4 male guppies over the swordtails - the swordtails will breed like rabbits and would overstock the tank with fry, and they might intimidate the honey gouramis.

I'd add at least 8 albino cories.

You could do something like this?

8-10x Lemon tetra
4x Male guppies
2-4x Honey gouramI (mixed sexes)
8-10x Albino cories or panda cories (not too big for this tank)

If you want an angelfish, I'd leave out the gouramI and the guppies, and do this:

8x Lemon tetra
1x Angelfish
8-10x Albino cories
 

DoubleDutch

Member
I saw that. Is it definitely 37G ?
 
  • Thread Starter

Blaggy

Member
TexasDomer said:
I think you'd be fine to have two unknown sex honey gouramis. They are very peaceful.

I wouldn't add an angel with the stocking you wanted.

I'd go with 4 male guppies over the swordtails - the swordtails will breed like rabbits and would overstock the tank with fry, and they might intimidate the honey gouramis.

I'd add at least 8 albino cories.

You could do something like this?

8-10x Lemon tetra
4x Male guppies
2-4x Honey gouramI (mixed sexes)
8-10x Albino cories or panda cories (not too big for this tank)

If you want an angelfish, I'd leave out the gouramI and the guppies, and do this:

8x Lemon tetra
1x Angelfish
8-10x Albino cories
Would the angelfish and the gouramI not go well together? Also, no guppies with angels? Angels really limit the stocking it seems.

Hmmm, yeah I wouldn't want the gouramis to feel overwhelmed by the swords. For the gouramis should I have some easy floating plants? What are good choices for that?

I guess I need to decide which I would prefer, the angels or the gouramis.

I think I'm going to have snails no matter what, that way algae will be taken care of. I definitely like the looks of pandas better. Should have done a black substrate so all these colors stood out.

So:
Option 1 - Gouramis
8x Lemon tetra
4x Male guppies
2x Honey gourami
3x Zebra nerve snails
8x Panda cories

Option 2 - Angelfish (unfinished)
8x Lemon tetra
1x Angel - Could I do 2x?
Would pandas not work with angels?

Any other options I haven't mentioned that could go with Angels?

DoubleDutch said:
I saw that. Is it definitely 37G ?
Yeah, its just taller vs being longer.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
BLagBolivianRam said:
Would the angelfish and the gouramI not go well together? Also, no guppies with angels? Angels really limit the stocking it seems.

Hmmm, yeah I wouldn't want the gouramis to feel overwhelmed by the swords. For the gouramis should I have some easy floating plants? What are good choices for that?

I guess I need to decide which I would prefer, the angels or the gouramis.

I think I'm going to have snails no matter what, that way algae will be taken care of. I definitely like the looks of pandas better. Should have done a black substrate so all these colors stood out.

So:
Option 1 - Gouramis
8x Lemon tetra
4x Male guppies
2x Honey gourami
3x Zebra nerve snails
8x Panda cories

Option 2 - Angelfish (unfinished)
8x Lemon tetra
1x Angel - Could I do 2x?
Would pandas not work with angels?

Any other options I haven't mentioned that could go with Angels?



Yeah, its just taller vs being longer.
I wouldn't add an angel
 

TexasDomer

Member
BLagBolivianRam said:
Would the angelfish and the gouramI not go well together? Also, no guppies with angels? Angels really limit the stocking it seems.

Angel will likely intimidate the more timid angels. And I don't think there's room for other centerpieces with the lemons and the angel in a 30" long tank. Adult angels are big.

Hmmm, yeah I wouldn't want the gouramis to feel overwhelmed by the swords. For the gouramis should I have some easy floating plants? What are good choices for that?

Anacharis, water lettuce, water sprite, hornwort, etc. would all work.

I guess I need to decide which I would prefer, the angels or the gouramis.

I think I'm going to have snails no matter what, that way algae will be taken care of. I definitely like the looks of pandas better. Should have done a black substrate so all these colors stood out.

You are the best at preventing and removing algae

So:
Option 1 - Gouramis
8x Lemon tetra
4x Male guppies
2x Honey gourami
3x Zebra nerve snails
8x Panda cories

Option 2 - Angelfish (unfinished)
8x Lemon tetra
1x Angel - Could I do 2x?
Would pandas not work with angels?

Panda cories need cooler water than angels, so they shouldn't be kept together.
No, I do not think you have room for 2 angels. Tank is too small.

Any other options I haven't mentioned that could go with Angels?

Other schooling fish would work. A few other cories would work (need to look at warm water cories). Kulhis would work instead of cories.

Yeah, its just taller vs being longer.
See responses in green above.
 
  • Thread Starter

Blaggy

Member
TexasDomer said:
See responses in green above.
Thanks for all your help TexasDomer . I think based on this information, I'm going to decide the GouramI option because it gives me more of a variety of fish! Plus it will give me some exposure to live plants. I just did some minI research, and I'm going keep Water sprite in the tank, and have it float on the surface of one side of the aquarium, Ill just tie it and use a suction cup to keep it stationed. Also it seems snails like to eat water sprite so I may ditch them in order to sustain it.

Thank you for the help as well DoubleDutch Mathew Sanders WadeEH
 

jaymethy

Member
WadeEH said:
I don't have Cories, but I have heard that they are OK on smooth gravel like yours. I think DoubleDutch has a lot of experience with them and could give you a better answer.
I've had corys with smooth gravel with no issues
 
Top Bottom