Planning For 37g Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Blaggy, Apr 16, 2018.

1. B

Blaggy New Member Member

Hey guys! I'm new to the hobby and I'm just in the beginning stages of cycling my first tank. I have a 37g, with tan gravel substrate and fake plants/decor. The setup is a Top Fin Aquarium Kit. Dimensions are 30"Lx12"Wx22"H. While I'm waiting for my cycle, I've been contemplating the fish I'd like to stock into my aquarium. So far this is what Im thinking:

First
    3x Swordtails (not sure on the colors yet) - 1m/2f
    OR/Both
    4x Guppies - 4m (each different colors)

Second
    4x Cories - For bottom dwellers (not sure which type yet, any suggestions? My bf likes the albino ones so thats a possibility)

Third
    6x Tetras - I like the Lemons a lot, but open to others based on the rest of my stocking below!

Fourth
    2x Honey Gouramis - I will make sure I get the true Trichogaster chuna. I don't want any hybrids, so I'll shop online from reputable sellers.

Fifth
    1x Angelfish - I'd lastly like to have an angelfish. Just one, but based on my stockings above, do you think thats a good idea or should I switch things out?

Let me know your opinions and give your own ideas as well!

I've added a photo of my aquarium from the first day I set it up.

Attached Files:

2. M

Mathew Sanders New Member Member

First off with that many different types of fish you're going to need more hiding places or territories in that tank. With the Cory's you should have a sand subtrate or the rocks could damage them and cause discomfort I'd replace those with 3 ghost shrimp and 2 nerite snails as for the two gurami it's never good to have 2 of a fish unless it's a ram chichlid and in that case you would have to do a male/ female so you would end up needing 3 gurami 1 male 2 female but as long if you don't do the Cory you should be fine and add some more hiding spots. PS. I didn't notice a heater or a filter in your tank with that large a load of fish you should really have both or look up the temperature needed

3. OP
    OP
    B

Blaggy New Member Member

My bad. I selected the wrong photo haha. IMG_6812.JPG

Darn alright I knew I should have gone with a sand substrate. I like the look of it better but figured it would be harder to maintain. I like the idea of snails and ghost shrimp.

I’ve read that the honey gouramis are extremely peaceful fish that like being with another so I’m planning on a male/female pair.

What would you suggest I add for more hiding spots? Taller fake plants? Caves?

4. WadeEH

WadeEH Valued Member Member

I don't have Cories, but I have heard that they are OK on smooth gravel like yours. I think @DoubleDutch has a lot of experience with them and could give you a better answer.

5. M

Just one cave should do and with those LEDs you could handle some duckweed or pistia would look really cool in your tank and also help bus as for the gouramis I have had 2 platties literally the most stupid peaceful fish in the world lol besides Cory's being more peaceful but even then a male will always bother the female I would definitely recommend 2 female but you might get lucky with them getting along the only fish I know for sure that do well with 1 male and 1 female are ram chichlid

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Though they love sand and am swapping to PFS when possible mine never had issues on gravel (which looks like yours).
    d07c7d53c690b2cde6c91afa3cc55823.jpg

7. WadeEH

WadeEH Valued Member Member

Also if you do get the Cories, you should get six of them. They do better with at least six in a group. I agree with @Mathew Sanders on the Honey Gourami's it would probably be better to get two females.

8. M

Yup and if you were that set on doing the Cory which in my opinion would be pushing the limits I'd do 6 pygmy Cory they stay small and have less of a bio load but in my opinion shrimp/snails will do better

9. OP
    OP
    B

Blaggy New Member Member

Great to know, I'll contemplate which to do, having the snails/shrimp would allow for more fish options.

I'll make sure to get 6 if I get them.

What if I only get 1 male honey then? Would that be perfectly fine?

10. DoubleDutch

Think about C.panda.
    I wouldn't keep a single honey btw.
    4896e4017ad1a64f86ec7fc1027bd1b0.jpg

11. M

Yea if you only have 1 honey that would be fine male or female and it would also bring down your bio load

12. M

With as many fish in the aqaurium you already have I would do pygmy Cory's pandas get too big

13. DoubleDutch

Too big ??? Pandas? For a 37G tank ?
    Pygmaeus are midwaterswimmer btw.

14. M

Did you read the beginning with all the other fish being added to the tank

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think you'd be fine to have two unknown sex honey gouramis. They are very peaceful.

I wouldn't add an angel with the stocking you wanted.

I'd go with 4 male guppies over the swordtails - the swordtails will breed like rabbits and would overstock the tank with fry, and they might intimidate the honey gouramis.

I'd add at least 8 albino cories.

You could do something like this?

8-10x Lemon tetra
    4x Male guppies
    2-4x Honey gourami (mixed sexes)
    8-10x Albino cories or panda cories (not too big for this tank)

If you want an angelfish, I'd leave out the gourami and the guppies, and do this:

8x Lemon tetra
    1x Angelfish
    8-10x Albino cories

16. DoubleDutch

I saw that. Is it definitely 37G ?

17. OP
    OP
    B

Blaggy New Member Member

Would the angelfish and the gourami not go well together? Also, no guppies with angels? Angels really limit the stocking it seems.

Hmmm, yeah I wouldn't want the gouramis to feel overwhelmed by the swords. For the gouramis should I have some easy floating plants? What are good choices for that?

I guess I need to decide which I would prefer, the angels or the gouramis.

I think I'm going to have snails no matter what, that way algae will be taken care of. I definitely like the looks of pandas better. Should have done a black substrate so all these colors stood out.

So:
    Option 1 - Gouramis
    8x Lemon tetra
    4x Male guppies
    2x Honey gourami
    3x Zebra nerve snails
    8x Panda cories

Option 2 - Angelfish (unfinished)
    8x Lemon tetra
    1x Angel - Could I do 2x?
    Would pandas not work with angels?

Any other options I haven't mentioned that could go with Angels?

Yeah, its just taller vs being longer.

18. DoubleDutch

I wouldn't add an angel

19. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

See responses in green above.

20. OP
    OP
    B

Blaggy New Member Member

Thanks for all your help @TexasDomer . I think based on this information, I'm going to decide the Gourami option because it gives me more of a variety of fish! Plus it will give me some exposure to live plants. I just did some mini research, and I'm going keep Water sprite in the tank, and have it float on the surface of one side of the aquarium, Ill just tie it and use a suction cup to keep it stationed. Also it seems snails like to eat water sprite so I may ditch them in order to sustain it.

Thank you for the help as well @DoubleDutch @Mathew Sanders @WadeEH

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice