Planning Betta Stocking 20 Long

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm planning a tank for later in the year (I've got some kind of disease in all but one of my tanks, so I have to sort that first) and I'm thinking of getting a 20 long for the betta I got because he's super active even in his 5.5. I'd like to do a community tank, and I'd love to have some type of Cory and livebearer, but I don't know how livebearers would do in my water. I plan to do a very heavily planted tank, and either bare bottom/moss bottom (would be my preference) or sand, which I guess I would need for the corys (cories?). Out of the tap, my water is 30-50 TDS, kH 1/0, gH 3, but in my tanks all of this is higher. In the tanks I use ferts in and add calcium, which I would do for this one, the TDS is closer to 150-170, kH 4-6, gH 6-8. I would love to get some endlers, but I don't know if the water would be hard enough... Would it be too hard for my betta? I still have to test how aggressive the betta is and everything, which I will do thoroughly before attempting this community tank.
Rough stocking plan:
1 betta
8 Julii Cory
10 endlers
1 mystery snail?
1 bamboo shrimp?
Other schooling fish?
Cherry shrimp?
I'm open to almost any other stocking suggestions, and plant ones as well ( I know I'll have a few mosses, but other than that)

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think you could do the betta, cory, snails, but not the shrimp.
The reason the bamboo shrimp isn't a good idea is that it requires a ton of water current, that's not betta friendly.
You could do cherry shrimp, the betta may eat or chase them.

I am not completely sure about the endlers, they are colorful and bettas may attack them, not sure.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fanatic said:
I think you could do the betta, cory, snails, but not the shrimp.
The reason the bamboo shrimp isn't a good idea is that it requires a ton of water current, that's not betta friendly.
You could do cherry shrimp, the betta may eat or chase them.

I am not completely sure about the endlers, they are colorful and bettas may attack them, not sure.
Thank you! I knew bamboo shrimp needed water currents, and most of my tanks are over filtered, I forgot it wasn't betta friendly. Thanks for catching that! I know the cherry shrimp may be a long shot, but I am hoping to have a lot of moss cover. And am I correct in that the cories definitely need some form of substrate? I was playing with the idea of doing bare bottom but completely covered in moss, either java or subwassertang...
And I plan to test the aggressiveness of the betta with flashy fish before doing any of this, but do you think the water would be too soft for livebearers?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I tried the mirror test, and my betta flared and swam away to the other side of the tank really fast, and did the same thing again, then he didn't come back for a few minutes, but when he did he seemed agitated and looked like he was searching. Is this too aggressive of a response? He made no move to attack the mirror, just swam away while flaring.
Edit: just went up to check and now he's spooked and skittish poor baby

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Would a moss floor be possible with cories or do they absolutely need a firmer substrate?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom